Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD RW gains gremlin

• Please log in to reply

Swayne

Swayne

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I upgraded our burner about a year ago to an ASUS CRW-5232AS. It has been working fine until yesterday. It will burn RW's just fine. It goes into a loop when I try burning a CD-R. Media? I tried several brands that I know have worked in the past - no luck. I've updated the firmware to the newest available from ASUS. I've tried burning from Easy Media Creator 7, and from Windows Media Player with no success. The burner always gets into a loop that will not shut down. I can turn off the software from the Task Manager, but the thing keeps in its loop - it won't respond to the buttons on it, its lights keep flashing, it does not even quit when uninstalled from Device Manager. The only way to stop it, is to pull the plug - the system will not even shut down. It gets to XP's 'Windows is shutting down' screen, but hangs there. All of this with a CD-R, then I try a CD-RW - it works fine! It has been working well for over a year, until now. Maybe it knows that the warranty has run out. Has anyone had or heard of this scenareo?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I have that exact same burner no problem yet, I want to say its a software thing but what bothers me the system won't shutdown with all that you tried and yes it could still be software so I would try removing it from device manager then reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers.

Maybe try another ide cable too

If it continues I would try another cdr before it causes other problems. These things are so cheaply made and I don't only mean asus that they seem to not last very long when used to write alot.

You problably tried these things so sorry could not be of much help.

Rick

Swayne

Swayne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I upgraded our burner about a year ago to an ASUS CRW-5232AS. It has been working fine until yesterday. It will burn RW's just fine. It goes into a loop when I try burning a CD-R. Media? I tried several brands that I know have worked in the past - no luck. I've updated the firmware to the newest available from ASUS. I've tried burning from Easy Media Creator 7, and from Windows Media Player with no success. The burner always gets into a loop that will not shut down. I can turn off the software from the Task Manager, but the thing keeps in its loop - it won't respond to the buttons on it, its lights keep flashing, it does not even quit when uninstalled from Device Manager. The only way to stop it, is to pull the plug - the system will not even shut down. It gets to XP's 'Windows is shutting down' screen, but hangs there. All of this with a CD-R, then I try a CD-RW - it works fine! It has been working well for over a year, until now. Maybe it knows that the warranty has run out. Has anyone had or heard of this scenareo?

Hi,

I have that exact same burner no problem yet, I want to say its a software thing but what bothers me the system won't shutdown with all that you tried and yes it could still be software so I would try removing it from device manager then reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers.

Maybe try another ide cable too

If it continues I would try another cdr before it causes other problems. These things are so cheaply made and I don't only mean asus that they seem to not last very long when used to write alot.

You problably tried these things so sorry could not be of much help.

Rick

Thanks for your interest Rick. Yes I've tried what you suggest, but sonetimes the easiest small things can be overlooked so your reply is appeciated. It is still not working. On reviewing my first post I noticed a couple of things I could add. Firstly, I am running the ASUS 5232AS burner with a 700 MHz cpu which is at the minimum requirements for it. Secondly, I have six different VIA chipsets downloaded that should all work with this system. As I go through the 4in1 installs with no luck, I wonder why it was working before, and not now.? I am building a new system in a couple of months, so I will try the burner in it. If one of these chipsets doesn't work with it, I will bow out of fixing this one and pick up another burner. Unless perhaps, ASUS sends me back a useful reply. For now, my PII is getting the burner work. I will post the resolution as it materializes.

wayne