Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD ROM drive

• Please log in to reply

Lady_redd

Lady_redd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
<_< Hi! I purchased a used CD ROM drive for my Gateway e-1400 computer because the exsisting one will no longer work.My operating system is Windows 2000 NT.It seems to come on momentarily but never really gets going.The existing drive is an LG(for Gateway) model#crd-8483b.It is ROM version 1.02 and the s/n is 005hb08032.It was manufactured in May2000.The drive that I bought is also an LG but the model # is crd-8400b.It is version 1.04 and the s/n is 0012f41663.It was manufactured in Jan 2000.This one runs just fine(at least as far as the motor turning) but my computer is giving me a message(before Windows starts) saying "improper driver,insert disk into drive A. I went through the advanced mode in setup and turned on the plug and play feature(I bought this computer from my employer and it was on a network). Other than that I wouldn't know what else to try except the actual driver for the CD ROM drive,which I don't have. Everyone I asked said that I shouldn't need a driver.I would greatly appreciate any help that you can give me on this!!
Thanks!!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Is this drive recognized by the BIOS? Have you checked the Master/Slave settings?