Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dad's eMachine eTower 633 ids Win ME

• Please log in to reply

fishsticks

fishsticks

• Pip
  • 3 posts
How to make this short. Let's try. Dad moved to Florida, wants to use his eMachine eTpwer 633ids computer again. I look on Windows update and there is a TON of stuff to update. I messed up and did the Modem driver update. Well, once I did that, it does not dial out. It immediately drops the line. Well, I tried all the things I knew to do. and now I'm stuck. Where on earth do I start?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I did the very same thing on the machine I'm one now, except for a network card, not a modem. I don't know what Microsoft did, but I sure had trouble getting it back. Try to find what update it is and uninstall it. Then go to the eMachines website and try to find the modem drivers for your model, or get them from the cd that came with the modem if you bought it at a store. You may need to download the drivers for that operating system to a floppy to install it. You will probably need to uninstall then reinstall the modem. And remember Google is your friend.

fishsticks

fishsticks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the info. This is Dad's PC so I have absolutely nothing in the way of floppies, disks, etc. When I told him I was having problemswith the machine, his first statement was "Will I be able to listen to my music?" (Sigh) Breaks my heart. hagd

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi fishsticks...

Please download Everest Home Edition, install it, run it using the "Report" icon, choose "All Pages" and then "HTML". Attach a log to this thread.

This will give us the information we need to track down your missing drivers.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
fishsticks...

Download These Drivers from Intel for your chipset. Install them and reboot.

Let us know if this resolves the issues...

wannabe1

fishsticks

fishsticks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
error message when I try to run .exe file
"the current operating system supports the Intel chipset devices on your system. No INF update is needed."

Should I just break down and buy a new modem with software?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's go to Device Manager and remove the modem and see if Windows will redetect it.

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties"...Click the "Device Manager" tab and scroll down the list to "Modems"...click the + and select the modem listed...(write down the name of the modem...it should be Harmonics (Conexant) SoftK56 WinModem)...right click on the selected modem and choose "Remove". Accept the changes and reboot your machine.

If you have no luck with Windows reinstalling the modem. post back and we'll try generic Conexant drivers.

wannabe1