Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 SP4 and the W32.valla worm

• Please log in to reply

criticman

criticman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
My system went down about 10 days ago, due to a never-ending stream of the garbage that's been discussed to death since October. I thought I was on top of it, but one day I booted up and ntoskrnl.exe was gone. I had to reinstall. Of course, up to that point I had been running Windows 2000 up-to-date with SP4 having been installed way back. I also had every detection program under the sun on my hard drive, including a Managed Virusscan beta I was testing for McAfee. I reinstalled Windows 2000, but still needed to bring it back up to SP4, so I went to Update and began the download. Everything was clean up until that point. This is where everything went particularly haywire. During the download my system began to run slower and slower and slower, eventually coming to a stop. I rebooted. I got locked out again and had to repair files. I did this 3 times. I tried to download SP4 repeatedly, every time I used their program launcher, the same thing happened. Microsoft Antispyware picked nothing up. Mcafee was gone by now, it had been disabled on the first attack. My hands were full, so at that point, I didn't think about reloading it. This went on for days. I searched Google for answers. Forums going back to September of 1994 were filled with users complaining of similar issues. Finally I decided to reinstall the McAfee beta. Immediately it started flipping up flags, one after another, stating that I had contracted the W32.valla.a worm. It was everywhere (mainly in any Microsoft component of my system, including Antispyware) . It also said it couldn't remove it. That was last night. I went back to Google and found that Trend Micro had something it said could take it off. I downloaded their program, which took an amazing 4 hours to run. By the time it was finished, it had identified the problem as well, and again, said mostly, nothing could be done about it.
I'd like to know why, if Microsoft has known about this since 9/94 (or before), has nothing been done about it? But mainly, I'd like to know if there's a way to remove this menace without having to format again.
This appears to be the only thing destroying my system, mostly everything else comes up the cleanest it's been in ages. If you can give me a solution, I'd certainly be grateful to have it. Reformatting doesn't seem practical, because I'd still need to bring the system back up to SP4 and how do I do that? I don't trust Microsoft Update at all at this point. It's clear the site has been compromised for months.

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
If you have two harddrives, or partitions, you can download and save ServicePack 4 to one of them. If not then you still can download ServicePack 4, and burn it to a CD-R, or CD-RW. Then format the harddrive, reinstall Windows 2000, and install the ServicePack. Hope that this helps, you can save yourself time by slipstreaming the ServicePack to the Windows 2000 CD.