Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

fix a HD with bad sectors

• Please log in to reply

sevenfold

sevenfold

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
ive recovered whatever files i wanted to get, with the exception of some damaged files, but now i want to be able to use this hard drive again. do i have to format it or use a third party program? thanks in advance

dan

ps. this is a secondary hard drive

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi sevenfold!

You can try going to the Recovery Console and type in chkdsk /p /r. That will find and try to repair the bad sectors on your hard drive. It's not gauranteed it will work, but is worth a try. You can also try downloading the hard drive diagnostic utility from your hard drive's manfacturer and do a low level format of the drive.

Fenor

sevenfold

sevenfold

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks!