Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Staying connected to the web

• Please log in to reply

deanbo

deanbo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
HI I have a Wanadoo Anytime Dial-up internet account and it severs the connection after 2 hours and i need to manually re-connect to get back on.

I am downloading some large files and use freeware download manager as it resumes broken downloads as opposed to IE which won't.

I need to find a way of making my PC re-connect to the web without me having to do it manually as i'm doing it throughout the night when i don't need the phone.I've ticked the box to connect automatically but that didn't work and neither did adjusting the settings in freeware download manager either.
Is their any sytem settings that may need adjusting to get this to work ?

Is it possible to do this ? as every time i've tried i crash and burn and i really need to get this to work.

To pre-empt some answers-I can't afford BB so please don't say just go BB as i can't and i have contacted Wanadoo about this too but they thought Anytime was Hometime [a different package altogether]and denied the 2-hour cut-off period even existed.It does exist and Wanadoo has never answered any question accurately to me about this and to be honest i don't think whoever answers knows what they're talking about as they just try to sell me their BB,which i don't want.I also don't want Hometime as that suffers the same thing, as my cousin has that and gets the same 2-hour cut-off as i do.Many thanks in advance. :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is unlikely to be a way round this as it is a cast in stone cut off

You can keep the connection within the 2 hours but the ISP, likely cuts it off at source at 2 hours with no exceptions

Broadband is about for 10 GBP a month

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Oh well i'll just have to stay up for a few nights :woot: :woot: :tazz:

incidentally i pay £14.99 a month for 56k dial-up and the wanadoo one is 17.99 but has a download limit and 12 month contract.My exchange won't do 8 megs only 2 and i have honestly never heard of a BB ISP for £10 a month.
Who on earth is that ?

I don't want a download limit as i need lots of it to download all the music file we send each other in our guitar players forums.The americans can't believe that we have download limits and most of them had never heard of them until i mentioned it.They also say "use" or "usage" sometimes and i don't like the sound of that.What do they mean by that and if it's nothing why make the ditinction in the first place ?I don't want a 12 month contract either.

I have no limit on this dial-up connection and i haven't seen any isp's who fit the bill.But thanks for putting me out of my misery with the 2-hour thing,good excuse for the missus. :) :)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look here for 9:99 if available, if not, bookmark and check back

http://www.ukonline....onbroadband.php

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Not available in my area unfortunately :tazz: their other offers are more expensive than wanadoo as well.
The 2-meg one is £24.99 and i couldn't find any info on download limits either and i don't want BB with download limits.

I was told earlier today that whilst many isp's have reasonably fast downloads their UPLOAD ability can be little better than dial-up,is that true ? I was told this by an Australian forum member who is a very good recording engineer and that's what he gets in Australia.Is the same true here ? i hope not as this is far too much hassle just to send and receive some files to each other.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
well if you go with adsl, the a stands for asymmetrical dsl, so the upload speed isn't the same as the download speed and is in fact slower. I don't know generally how much slower it is but it won't be as bad as dial-up, that sounds a bit too slow. I think most of the time you would not notice this. other people may say otherwise. if you want to share files then I don't think it will be an issue.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Depends what you call fast

[attachment=4600:attachment]

Uploads are usually restricted to home users as they don't use it so much

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well thanks very much guys I get it now,it's Assymetrical isn't it ? That's why the download and uploads are different.
I have however just realised that i may have worded this topic slightly incorrectly from the start and to cut a long story short here's what i mean.

I have to manually click with my mouse on the icon of planet Earth with a telephone superimposed over it.
All i need to do is 1 left click and it dials up Wanadoo and it connects and resumes downloading from where it left-off.
Therefore my PC must allow an app to dial out for that to work mustn't it ?

If i'm right and i can't see where i'm wrong all i need to do is make this app automatically dial-up the connection when it detects the connection has broken.I've read all the help files and even looked on their forum but can't see any reference to it.

http://freedownloadmanager.org/

That's the app and i use it as i find it easy to use for me[i'm not very good].does anyone know how to configure this app to do that OR indeed whether this app can do that ?
It's my last throw of the dice and worth a punt :) :tazz:

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

HI I have a Wanadoo Anytime Dial-up internet account and it severs the connection after 2 hours and i need to manually re-connect to get back on.

[

It's supposed to do that, this was a requirement of BT in an attempt to keep the usage levels down. These days most ISPs say they do it for reasons of quality of service.

I need to find a way of making my PC re-connect to the web without me having to do it manually as i'm doing it throughout the night when i don't need the phone.I've ticked the box to connect automatically but that didn't work and neither did adjusting the settings in freeware download manager either.
Is their any sytem settings that may need adjusting to get this to work ?

Some modems are designed in such a way that when they've tried and failed to connect a few times they refuse to try again until you restart the system. Your modem may be overzealous OR your modem doesn't like being called back into service so soon after a disconnection.

To pre-empt some answers-I can't afford BB so please don't say just go BB as i can't and i have contacted Wanadoo about this too but they thought Anytime was Hometime [a different package altogether]and denied the 2-hour cut-off period even existed.It does exist and Wanadoo has never answered any question accurately to me about this and to be honest i don't think whoever answers knows what they're talking about as they just try to sell me their BB,which i don't want.I also don't want Hometime as that suffers the same thing, as my cousin has that and gets the same 2-hour cut-off as i do.Many thanks in advance. :tazz:

There's not a lot you can do about the 2hr cut off because its implemented at ISP level, under BT's original requirements when unmetered dial-up first came out a few years back.

You could always use the 0845 number which doesn't give you a cutoff but of course its charged at local rates.

Broadband is painfully cheap these days, in fact its now cheaper than Dial-Up. So if you can afford to pay Wanadoo £15.99 a month, which you clearly can, then you can afford, for example:

Tiscali: £14.99 a month.
Tesco.net: £14.97 p/m for the first year.
Wanadoo: £14.99 p/m for first six months.
UKOnline (if you can get it): £9.99.
Virgin.Net: £14.99 a month.

Other options are available.