Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows isn't recognizing my RAID'ed drives for install.

• Please log in to reply

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Alright, long story short I dumped my XP install on my raided harddrives (and had to consequently dump linux from my other drives but thats not important).

Now since I had already been through this before, I thought it would be a quick thing -- I get a floppy, put my RAID controllers drivers on it, delete and reform the array in the RAID controller utility in the BIOS, boot into windows setup, pop the drivers in and do a routine every day install. But no! It has to have problems!!!

Firstly, windows doesn't recognize the RAID array nor does it recognize the individual drives (YES, they're plugged in correctly... they are serial ATA so no, I didn't set jumpers nor did I set anything IDE related in the BIOS). I've tried every different sequence I can possibly do to try and get this to work: Using win NT drivers instead of XP, not using RAID drivers at all to see if it recognizes, trying individual harddrives that aren't RAID'ed... nothing. I cant even format them in window's console because when I type FORMAT C: NTFS it says cannot format removable media (What the...?)

This is turning into a nightmare for me as I sit here at 10pm pulling my hair out as my HW still lingers on my To-Do list.

Anything I'm doing wrong or suggestions on how to make this work?

Oh and the equipment I'm using is: WD Raptor 10k RPM 74.4GB (x2), On-board Promise Raid Controller, Windows XP SP1 install disk, ASUS P4C800-E motherboard, Promise RAID WIN XP Drivers.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You probably are doing this but I'll ask anyways. You are hitting F2 during the initial step of the installation to install third party scsi/raid drivers right?

Fenor

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yep, I have the floppy with the RAID controller drivers in, ready to go and I load the Win XP version when it says Press F6 to Load third party RAID bla bla bla

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Unfortunately I've never had the need to use raid so I can't help you further :tazz:

Fenor

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
un effing believeable..................

I'm using SATA HD's so by intuition I pick the SATA raid driver from the mobo disk. Just out of curiosity and to rule it out, I load in the standard RAID drivers (meant for IDE drives afaik) and what do you know? Mofo windows picks it up and OOOOOH Unpartioned space 140000MB lololol

Alright, thanks anyway guys i think i fixed it on my own :/

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I might not have been able to help you, but I got your mind thinking about the drivers, so I helped a little I guess. :tazz:

Glad everything is working now!

Fenor