Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows xp wont load up

• Please log in to reply

surfpunk

surfpunk

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
so i was using my computer today and it started acting up a little bit. the internet was going EXTREMELY slow, so i thought that if i turned it off for a bit the internet would act normal when i turned it on (which is sometimes the case when the computers on for a long time). so i shut down the computer and it wouldnt shut all the way down, it stayed at the "windows is shutting down" screen for a good 5 minutes. so i just held on power button for 10 seconds till it just turned off. took a shower/shaved etc and when i went to turn it back on, 15-20 minutes later, itd go to the normal loading screen that says "dell" and has the status bar under it, then it went to a black screen with a "_" blinking in the upper left hand corner, and thats it. now, my other computer had a harddrive crash on it about 2 years ago, and i FAINTLY remember it doing something similar. it was a while ago so i cant remember exactly how it acted. but anyways, im thinking its iether the harddrive or the video card, does this sound right? what do you suggest my next step be?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PCand keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose last known good configuration, press enter

If no change, same thing, choose safe mode, press enter, this will decide if the video card is holding it up

If no change

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

If no change

Please go here to repair your operating system

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

surfpunk

surfpunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
the blank screen with the flashing "_" happens before f8 brings up the menu... a couple times i was able to get a screen that said a few things like BIOS www.dell.com etc, and then underneath that writing it said "keyboard failure" and then underneath that was the blinking "_" and the rest of the screen was blank.

i put in the installation cd but it wouldnt do anything

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you try another keyboard, maybe a standard one if you have USB or wireless

Remove the plug for the keyboard and boot the PC

surfpunk

surfpunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
same thing happened with the new keyboard. when booted with no keyboard it went to the same screen that says "keyboard failure" when i press f8 really fast the second i push the power button...

this is actually normal though, when booting into safe mode previously, if i started pressing f8 too early, it would display that screen, then just boot up normally.

surfpunk

surfpunk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
any more ideas before i take it in to get repaired?