Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to delete an old swap file

• Please log in to reply

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Does anyone know how to delete a no longer used swap file on Windows XP?

I moved it from D to F, and now I cant delete the one on F after rebooting. I tried using a cmd prompt, and attrib says the file is system and hidden but I cannot seem to -r -s the file. It wont change the attribute of a system file (even though it isnt using it).

Do I need to turn off some kind of system protection service then re-enable it?

thanks

Adrian

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You can not delete them most of the time, nor dose copying it to another place work.

Start < Control Panel < System < Advanced < proformance < Settings < Advanced < Virtual Memory < change

Is where you can change the page file settings.

Hope this helps

Edited by Michael, 03 November 2005 - 02:01 AM.

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Err thanks for trying to help, and maybe I wasnt clear enough. Let me explain again. Through the propper measures, I changed the location of the swap file from D drive to F drive. Even though no swap file is listed for D drive under the windows swap file window, if I load a cmd and "dir pagefile.sys /a:h" the file still comes up as being present on D drive, even after reboot. This file isnt listed as being used by the swap file configuration window. I'm wondering if maybe windows is protecting this file if it isnt using it because of its file name? Frankly I want the 3 gig back.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
So you what to delete pagefile.sys form D:\ and it is not listed where I asked you to go? Best idea is to use some thing like Killbox.
  • Please download the Killbox.
    but do NOT run it yet.
  • Then please reboot into Safe Mode by restarting your computer and pressing F8 as your computer is booting up. Then select the Safe Mode option.
  • Once in Safe Mode, please run Killbox.
  • Select "Delete on Reboot".
  • In Killbox, go to the File menu, and Paste in D:\pagefile.sys
  • Click the red-and-white "Delete File" button. Click "Yes" at the Delete on Reboot prompt. Click "Yes" at the Pending Operations prompt.
  • Let the system reboot.

Edited by Michael, 03 November 2005 - 06:00 PM.

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanks, I'll try that.