Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Modem problems

• Please log in to reply

amunra

amunra

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I just installed a new Arckteck modem in one of my win xp pro computers and the os does not recognize the modem. I have tried to install the drivers and still nothing. Changed slots and still nothing. Any Ideas?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. I would go to the manufacturer's web page, http://www.archtek.com/contact.html. Check their faq, make sure you have the correct driver. They also have a contact link for tech support.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic Modem Installation
Date 3rd Nov-2005

Just a few questions -

Is this a [New Modem] or one that you recycled from WIN 98 - Do you have installation CD – Did you Install thru [Control Panel] > [Add or Remove Hardware] – Are you installing proper Driver for Win XP – What Model Number & Type of Archtek Modem are you trying to Install – What Service Pack is Installed with XP system – Do you have proper COM Port enabled – Does motherboard have an [Onboard Modem] – Is this PC with XP OS an Upgrade from Win 98 – Does [Device Manager] show any [Unknown Devices] or have any Devices that have [Yellow Warning Signs] associated with it -

Expanded the Link from Austin O

Link for Archtek Modem Drivers
http://www.archtek.com/drivers.html

Jack123

amunra

amunra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
It is a new modem, I have the install cd that came with the modem, I cant use the add/ remove hardware wizard because windows does not recognize it,the modem is a Arckteck Smartlink 56 prc, I am running windows xp pro w/ sp1, I tried to install a different modem(which was recognized), no the motherboard does not have an onboard modem, this was a clean install of win xp, and device manager does not show any problems.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Can you try putting THAT modem in another computer and see if it works? Maybe the modem is bad.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic Modem Installation - (2)
Date 3rd Nov-2005

Lets view [All the Devices] that are in [Device Manager] – See if this helps locating the Problem –

Here is a Routine/Process that will permit [Device Manager] to show [Non Present Devices] – Perhaps – somewhere/somehow – A Modem Installation was accomplished incorrectly – and [Device Manager] has already detected this Modem – but failed in the Installation Process – And has kept PnP from Detecting the Modem - because It is not [New Hardware] -

Here is a [Preparation Process] for [DEVICE MANAGER] to View [Non Present Devices] – This is a 2 Step process that needs to be done only once –

Step – 1 Set [Folder Options] to [Show Hidden Files & Folders]
Step – 2 Set [Device Manager] to [Show Non Present Devices]

Step – 1 Open [Control Panel] and set [Folder Options] to show [Hidden Files & Folders] – (1 time process)

(1) – Click [Start] Button
(2) – Scroll up to [SETTINGS] > Click on [CONTROL PANEL]
(3) – Open [Folder Options]
(4) – Click on [VIEW] Tab
(5) – Scroll down to [Hidden Files & Folders]
(6) – Click the [SHOW HIDDEN FILES & FOLDER] Option
(7) – Deselect OPTION – [Hide Protected OS Files – Recommended]
(8) – Click [OK]
(9) – Close [Control Panel]

Step – 2 Prep [DEVICE MANAGER] to view [Non Present Devices] –( 1 time process)

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(12) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

Now Open [Device Manager] in Normal manner & Set [VIEW] options to [SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES]

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER]
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as reqyired
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded gray print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

[Device Manager] will now show you the Device History of your PC – Look for Modem and/or Unknown Devices that are shown [With a faded/light Gray Print – This is the way [Non Present Devices] are shown/represented –

PnP will only Find {New Hardware] – not Hardware already [FOUND] –

Now you can Double Click on these [Non Present Modem/Unknown Devices] & Uninstall – Then try PnP again to see if Modem is now detected & an Installation Process is performed –

Do not concern yourself about the Non PnP [Non Present Devices] – They may be Files & Items not in use yet and will be required at some later time –

These [Non Present Devices] – are just what the name indicates – Non Present – This is what prevents PnP to reinstall your Printer and/or Other Devices – Every time you – TURN – the Device [ON] – It is like a [Place Holder/Marker] –

The only problem is – It cannot properly Discern Between – [Properly Installed] & [Failed Installed] – Devices that are [Not Present] – And having a [Retarded] – [Device Manager] – does not help –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 04 November 2005 - 10:26 AM.

amunra

amunra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Can you try putting THAT modem in another computer and see if it works? Maybe the modem is bad.

I have tried 8 of the same modems in 3 different computers. I bought 20 of them and have 50 computers to try them in. Thats a good idea but I already got to it. Thanks

amunra

amunra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I followed the directions and found about 15 "simple pci communication devices", so I deleted all of them inorder to find the correct one that went to the modem. I restarted the computer and now when I go back to the hidden devices there are no Unknown Devices which there was before.

amunra

amunra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I emailed a few people that bought some of the same modems and they had the same problem that I am having. They had to send them back for a refund. Is that what I should do?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Sometimes if the driver from the previous modem is still on the hardrive, it will prevent the new modem from installing. I found this out several years ago when I didn't uninstall the old modem in device manager before physically removing the old modem. I ended up formatting the hardrive and re-installing everything. Then the new modem installed correctly.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic Modem Installation - (3)
Date 7th Nov-2005

Well that puts a [New Perspective] on the Issue - Thought you were inquiring abou a single Modem problem on a (A) computer???? Would be helpful if all the facts were presented

Did you get any of these modems to install correctly –

If Not – Just be aware – of – The [Shop & Compare] Method of Troubleshooting –

It may appear to be [Quick & Cheap} – but – You could – [Very Quickly] – end up with:

1- A Bad Computer that destroys all 20 modems
2- A bad Modem that destroys all 50 computers
3- A combination of bad modem & bad computer that - - - - -(Fill in the blanks)

Especially if the [Origin] of the Devices is questionable -

Jack123