Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Modem freezes on internet connection

• Please log in to reply

superdan54

superdan54

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi, I've got a modem problem that's driving me batty. About 2 of every 3 times I connect to the internet using dial-up, it essentially freezes my computer. What's weird is that I can open Windows explorer & the start menu, but I cannot run any programs. Once I disconnect or pull the modem line, every thing goes back to normal.

I thought at first that it might be some malware trying to dial out somewhere, but now I'm not so sure, especially after seeing a couple of errors in the modem log. But before I go too much into detail, I thought it would be best to see if you guys know anything right off.

thanks!!!!!
->dan

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look for updated drivers for the modem

Download Everest Home Edition

Run it, click + next to computer then summary, look on right for network

Visit the manufacturer's site to look for XP drivers

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

If you are unable to find anything, or are unsure if the files are correct, please post the make and model here before you download anything