Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost alot of Gbs on my hard drive.

• Please log in to reply

Supremebeing

Supremebeing

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
So my computer was recognizing my 80 Gb Maxtor hard drive as a 127 Gbs total and free space. Strange? I click on the 127 Gbs and tried to reformat....didnt change. I put in the Maxtor Cd and erase the partion and the 127 Gbs was gone. I formatted the F drive and it reads the 80 Gbs as 31.4 gbs total and free space. I am trying to make my 80 Gb hard drive into a storage drive. Need help, plz reply.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Use the software that came with the drive for partitioning and formatting the drive, fdisk and format can't deal with a drive of that size. If you didn't get a software disk, download Max Blast 4 from the Maxtor website

www.maxtor.com

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Are you formatting NTFS or FAT32??

Do you have the SP2 service pack installed??

Murray

Supremebeing

Supremebeing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have the CD that came with the hard drive and already partition it and formatted it. That is how it ended up like it is now. I'll do it again just in case.

The 80 HD is slave for the time being as I have a 200 GB Maxtor master Hard drive that has Win XP SP1.

NTFS format, no SP2 installed.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I have the CD that came with the hard drive and already partition it and formatted it. That is how it ended up like it is now. I'll do it again just in case.

Is it the MaxBlast 4 cd as mentioned earlier??

Murray

Supremebeing

Supremebeing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes it is a MaxBlast 4 cd.

Edited by Supremebeing, 05 November 2005 - 04:21 PM.

Supremebeing

Supremebeing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Srry for the double post but I just want to make sure ya'll know that I replied back and didnt ignore the topic. I click on fast reply which didnt bring the topic back up to the front afta I replied.

I do have the Max Blast 4 cd and redid everything but its still the same.

Edited by Supremebeing, 07 November 2005 - 01:10 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Srry for the double post but I just want to make sure ya'll know that I replied back and didnt ignore the topic. I click on fast reply which didnt bring the topic back up to the front afta I replied.

I do have the Max Blast 4 cd and redid everything but its still the same.

Okay.. did you format to NTFS with MaxBlast ??

Murray

Supremebeing

Supremebeing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am abit confused on the question u just ask, but I will take a crack at answering it.

No, I didnt use the Maxtor CD to format the drive to NTFS. I just used the Maxtor CD to erase the parition. Afta doing so, I place the 80 GBs as a slave to my 200 Gbs master. When I booted into Windows, I spotted the slave hard drive and formatted it to NTFS. Afta it was done, it showed up as <32 Gbs of total and free space.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Right.. Use the MaxBlast 4 cd and use that to format the drive to NTFS.. Bet the whole thing shows in Windows..

Secondly, some hdd's have a jumper on the back that effectively limits the hdd partition to 32GB.. make sure yours doesn't have this and, if it does, the jumper is removed!!

Murray

Supremebeing

Supremebeing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the help. I will try my best on figuring out how to get the Maxtor CD 4 to format the hard drive to NTFS. Thanks. The hard drive doesnt have a jumper as of right now (I lost it), but thanks for the tip. I'll reply back soon.

Supremebeing

Supremebeing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I wish u was right but unfortunately, it didnt show. My bios pick it up which is a plus b/c before it was also reading it as 32 GBs. But it continues to show 32 GBs in Windows. I dont understand why my bio is reading the right hard drive size but not Windows XP w/ SP1 installed.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Go into Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management

Now, click on the Disk Management Option under the "Storage" heading..

Look for the Maxtor hdd and tell me everything it says concerning it..

Murray

Supremebeing

Supremebeing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I made a mistake on this topic and I apology for it.

The mistake was the wrong hard drive. I thought it was my 80 GB hard drive that was giving me problems when actually it was my 200 GB. From this mistake, I research back to an old topic on this forum and found the solution. I apology for having caused any confusion and wasted your time on this topic. I apology.

andrew11099

andrew11099

• Pip
  • 9 posts
i seem to be having the same problem with my 80gb samsung hd
i did have sp2 but deleted partition dont now
but every time i try to recreate even a 70 gb partition it won let me it says i have no room
my hd has nvr been up to 70 gb or even 30 gb but windows says it only has 30 gb
i have tried many partition tools drive management tools partition resizers etc but nothinmg seems to work
the only partition it makes is a 30 gb one
i have tried to hook it up to me other computer but it says its not formatted do you want to format 30gb drive?

what to do?

k cya