Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to utilize Smiley Central in any email formats

• Please log in to reply

Grace.A

Grace.A

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, Can someone please help me with a problem I'm having with utilizing Smiley Central within my emails? I've installed Smiley central without any problems, but when I click on the Smiley Central (SC) icon, I get an error message in a pop up box saying "An error has occurred in the script on this page". I've numerously uninstalled & re-installed Smiley Central (SC) to try to combat this problem.

Also, I've uninstalled unused programs that were running on my computer, then re-booted.

I have a 1-yr new Windows XP Toshiba laptop with a 128-bit Cipher strength. It's a fully loaded computer complete with 2.80 Ghz, 60 GB HDD & 512MB of DDR SDRam. The weird thing is that Smiley Central used to work on my computer from the beginning. I've never had a problem before with clicking on the icon while in email & then using it. As of several months ago I uninstalled it due to what I thought was a virus. Since then, after numerous attempts at re-installing it (then uninstalling & re-installing it) I haven't been able to get it to work. I keep getting same error message as mentioned above.

Also in the pop up box, it says: Line: 917; Char: 1; Error: Object expected; Code: 0; URLfile://C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts\Shared\Cache\SmileyCentralBtn.html
Then at the bottom of the pop up box it says, "Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? Yes or no are the options. I've already tried both. When I click Yes, after a couple minutes, the Smiley Central box comes up on the screen but without any visuals of any smileys. It's just a blank box with no way to view the smilies.

I've tried going into Tools, Internet Options, & clicking on the various tabs to make some changes to see if that helped (changed Security & Connections). Nothing has helped.

If someone could please help me, I'd greatly appreciate it. I had Smiley Central before & never had a problem. Thank you in advance. Sincerely, Grace :) :P :P :tazz: :) :woot: :woot: :woot: :P

Advertisements

njustice

njustice

• PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
Hello Grace,

Smiley Central is adware and spyware. I advise you uninstall via add/remove programs. Then run Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware to remove any remaining traces of Smiley Central.

Download Spybot from
http://www.safer-net...p?page=download

after installing......hit.."Search for Updates".....get them all.......(Download Updates)........then "Check for Problems".......after the scan is complete..allow Spybot to remove everything listed in RED...reboot your computer.

Then Download Ad-aware SE from: http://www.majorgeek...ownload506.html

Install the program and launch it.

First, in the main window, look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now and download the latest reference files.

Next, we need to configure Ad-aware for a full scan.
  • Reconfigure Ad-Aware for Full Scan as per the following instructions:
    • Launch the program, and click on the Gear at the top of the start screen.
    • Under General Settings the following boxes should all be checked off: (Checked will be indicated by a green circle with a check mark in it, Un-Checked is a red circle with an X in it. If it is greyed out, those features are only available in the retail version.)
      • "Automatically save logfile"
      • Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal"
      • Safe Mode (always request confirmation)
      • Prompt to update outdated confirmation) - Change to 7 days.
    • Click the "Scanning" button (On the left side).
    • Under Drives & Folders, select "Scan within Archives"
    • Click "Click here to select Drives + folders" and select your installed hard drives.
    • Under Memory & Registry, select all options.
    • Click the "Advanced" button (On the left hand side).
    • Under "Shell Integration", select "Move deleted files to Recycle Bin".
    • Under "Log-file detail", select all options.
    • Click on the "Defaults" button on the left.
    • Type in the full url of what you want as your default homepage and searchpage e.g. http://www.google.com.
    • Click the "Tweak" button (Again, on the left hand side).
    • Expand "Scanning Engine" by clicking on the "+" (Plus) symbol) and select the following:
      • "Unload recognized processes during scanning."
      • "Obtain command line of scanned processes"
      • "Scan registry for all users instead of current user only"
    • Under "Cleaning Engine", select the following:
      • "Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion."
      • "During removal, unload explorer and IE if necessary"
      • "Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot."
      • "Delete quarrantined objects after restoring"
    • Click on "Safety Settings" and select "Write-protect system files after repair (Hosts file, etc)"
    • Click on "Proceed" to save these Preferences.
    • Click on the "Scan Now" button on the left.
    • Under "Select Scan Mode, be sure to select "Use Custom Scanning Options".
  • Close all programs except ad-aware.
  • Click on "Next" in the bottom right corner to start the scan.
  • Run the Ad-Aware scan and allow it to remove everything it finds and then REBOOT - Even if not prompted to.
  • After you log back in, Ad-Aware may run to finalize the scan and remove any locked files that it may of found. Allow it to finish.

The Infinite

The Infinite

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
It's a part of MyWebSearch (a spyware thingy that monitors the sites you surf and sends reports back). The features that it offers do work for some period of time, like Smiley Central, Cursor Mania, History Swatter, etc. But it would be better to avoid all of these altogether. Like the person before me (njustice) said, get an anti-spyware program and/or uninstall MyWebSearch through the Add/Remove Programs list in the Control Panel. I would recommend doing both, cause you never know how many other spywares are infesting (yeah, that's right, infesting) your computer.