Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Burner not working with Nero

• Please log in to reply

clavel

clavel

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi everybody.
I'm working in a public internet access lab, and we have a CD burner, LITE-ON LTR-52246S to be exact. I can burn files just fine from the Windows explorer, but when I try to use Nero, it reads the writer as an Image writer (and gives me no other option, just the Image writer), and when I click Burn, it saves it to my hard drive automatically as an image file. The drivers are installed fine, and the burner properties say that it's working fine. Any reason why Nero would be giving me trouble? I thought it was odd that I can burn with no trouble from Windows, but not through Nero. And, I did uninstall and reinstall Nero, to no avail.
Thanks!

Edited by clavel, 03 November 2005 - 07:50 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I would start by going to Nero's web page, support, and look for software updates/patches for your version. Go to http://ww2.nero.com/enu/index.html. FYI Nero does not support packet writing to cd-r media.

clavel

clavel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you :tazz: I will try that out first!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi clavel!

Are you using StartSmart when trying to burn cd's? If you are not, what I suggest you do is open up nero StartSmart and try to make a data cd. On the first screen that shows up, hit the button with the word NERO on it. This will open up Nero Burning Rom. You should then see that your CD Writer is now visiable in the pull-down box in the upper right hand corner of the window.

This happens to the dvd writers we have at work, and we have to do this each time we install nero for the first time and use it.\

Fenor

clavel

clavel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
There is no Nero SmartStart. I'm running Nero version 5, and I just have Burning ROM and Nero Express. Maybe I should get a newer version of Nero, do you think that would help? I can't find Nero 5 drivers on the site :/

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If you are considering new software, maybe you should consider an alternative to Nero. Personally I use Roxio. You will find negative comments on the internet about both, but my bad experience was with Nero. My old HP 450 PIII came with a burner that had Adaptec (now Roxio) software that did packet writing to CD-R. When I upgraded from Win98SE to W2KPro it no longer worked. I ended up buying Nero 6 after carefully reading the info on the outside of the box, and even explaining to the "knowledgeable" sales person at Compusa what I wanted to do with it. It was only after I took it home and opened the box and reading the manual inside, that I found out it did not support packet writing to cd-r. I did a long email battle with their tech support and customer service, had to threaten them with filing a complaint through comsumer protection in CA where their US office is located. I finally got a RMA and sent it back, and received a full refund. In the meantime, I found Roxio 5 Basic OEM for around $8.00 and use it for packet writing to cd-r, buring cd's, copying cd's etc. I bought dual layer dvd/r/rw drive for my other computer and it came with Roxio 7 basic, it works well too. I will never forget being told by Nero tech support person "we do not issue RMA on opened software" when it was not possible to find out it would not support packet writing to cd-r until you open the box and read the manual! They even told me in one email "Nero does not support packet writing to cd-r, read the manual". Whew, I decided never buy Nero anything. I have bought several drives that came with Nero OEM, never even tried to use it. I just use Roxio because it works for me, and that is what matters.

Whether you get Nero, Roxio, Sonic or what ever, all that matters is that it works for you and does what you want it to. Good luck. :tazz: