Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard, mouse and usb freeze up at startup

• Please log in to reply

kaki

kaki

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a window 98 old computer that was not turned on since July. In October I turned on, it was working fine. Windows update program recommended some upgrade, so click ok and got upgrades. Next day turned the machine on, it comes up, after login, password I can see the desktop icons, right after that my keyboard, mouse freezes up. My internet activity is not there. If I boot in safe mode keyboard and mouse works but no internet activity and it does not recoginze D drive. I suspect something wrong with the update on my reigstry. I was reading the forum here and I saw some solution. so booted machine in safe mode to a window command prompt and tried scanreg.exe/fix It went up to 7% and go freezon. So rebooted machine and tried scanreg /restore, went back to July 2005 date and restore the registry. Rebooted machine the problem still exists. I don't mind restalling windows98 program, but I have it in cd and the computer does not regcognize cd drive. I am at a lost. Where to go from here..help...

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
You can go to my computer right click >properties>device manager click on the + next to cd rom
highlight cd then remove it click on refresh and see if it reinstalls the cd rom
or you can make a boot disk.
Start>settings>control panel>add remove programs >make startup disk.
Reboot with the disk in A: drive choose the option of start with cd support does your cd work now?
If not look at the cables in the computer and make sure none are loose.
If it does start the cd let us know or reinstall as per
http://www.geekstogo...98-95-t479.html

kaki

kaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

You can go to my computer right click >properties>device manager click on the + next to cd rom
highlight cd then remove it click on refresh and see if it reinstalls the cd rom
or you can make a boot disk.
Start>settings>control panel>add remove programs >make startup disk.
Reboot with the disk in A: drive choose the option of start with cd support does your cd work now?
If not look at the cables in the computer and make sure none are loose.
If it does start the cd let us know or reinstall as per
http://www.geekstogo...98-95-t479.html

kaki

kaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you. I will try and will let you know tomorrow. Also, I had a laptop connected to the same modem same time..and got same problem...will try thanks

kaki

kaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I tried to create a system disk, but as soon as click that button, nothing happens. I had another boot disk available so tried to boot with that. It boots to A drive and I can go to c drive, but doesnot recognize D: drive so I can't reinstall 98SE again. Meanwhile I tried to search at the files that had been changed during the time in question, I saw many doubtful item, some of them are:

CATMAST.CBK, CATMAST. CBD, HASHMAST.CBD, HASHMAST.CBK
also

Windows\Local Settings\Application Data\Application History\REGSVCS.EXE.a711c9e3.ini.inuse
\SLE344.TMP.472dd9da.ini.inuse

c:\WINDOWS\INSTALLER\694EE
C:\WINDOWS\ASSEMBLY
this assembly folder has 5-7 exe files they all look fishy

winows\system\kb891711
windows\system\vsconfig
windows\system\catroot
they are in {F750EGc3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04fc296EE}

Please see if this gives some clue I can give this entire list but I can't save this log to a notepad.
help

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
kb891711 is a Microsoft Security update that has caused many probles. Suggest that you uncheck it from your startup menu by clicking START > RUN type in MSCONFIG and select STARTUP. Find it in the startup list and uncheck it. You will need to reboot. You can do this in safe mode if you need to.

If you want to remove it do so from ADD/REMOVE.

kaki

kaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks 1069 and peterm...........I did what you said. booted in safe mode. Add/REMOVE programs and removed kb891711 rebooted all the way and walla.........I got it working.Thank you so much.

Still--
what do you think about assembly folder. Do I need it for runing simple computer task like internet and office.
and also what is that '...ini.inuse' folder. Safe to remove that.

1069, I have seen in one of your opinion to start run msconfig and uncheck autoexec.bat file. If I do that, I would I have any problem in rebooting machine and using normal way. ( I don't want to loose my computer again!)

Please give me your valuable opinion.

Thanks again.

kaki

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
98 and up do not need autoexec.bat or config.sys
only in odd cases

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Glad to be of help :tazz:

kaki

kaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,
How about that Assembly folder
and

Application data\application history folder which has some fishy folders.

thanks

kaki