Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LapTop for School

• Please log in to reply

Exdeus

Exdeus

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello all. Here is my issue.

I currently have an amazing desktop, but I just changed my major and a requirement of this major is to get a laptop. I try to game when I can (albeit not so much anymore), but I want a system that is capable of handling as much as possible while being able to suit all of my needs.

Currently I have a 3.2ghz p4 with 1024mb ddr and an lcd monitor and 500gb of memory. Obviously from looking at laptop options, that kind of system isnt reasonably available.

So, my question, can anyone point me to a laptop that I can get for $1,000.00 or under. One thousand is the roof at this point in time, and I want the best system I can get for that and have NO experience in laptops. Alienware? Compaq? Dell?

Thanks for any advice or links and such.

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Hi Exeus,
I'm in an almost identical situation. I am close to buying a laptop for my school, also with a $1000 cap. I chose to customize a Compaq from their website. I hope I'm not putting words in your mouth, but you're probably in need of a smaller unit to carry around easier with decent battery life so you won't have to be plugging it in all the time, correct? Is this machine mainly for doing simple word processing or advanced programs such as CAD (Computer Animated Design)? Also, are you planning on doing any gaming on this machine? Here's my #1 possible machine:

Compaq Presario V2000Z customizable Notebook PC

AMD Turion™ 64 ML-30 (1.6GHz/1MB L2 Cache) (Upped L2 cache helps speed)
14.0 WXGA Widescreen (1280x768) (Little Widescreen, nice :tazz:)
ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M (Configurable up to 128 MB Shared VRAM, not a gaming machine)
512MB DDR SDRAM (1x512MB) (An empty slot for another 512 stick)
60 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive (Higher RPM drive means shorter repsonse time)
DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive (I personally don't need a DVD burner)
54g™ 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster™ (Free SpeedBooster! :))
12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (12-Cell, very important, much better battery life)

I also declined a firewire port and card reader to cut costs. You might need these things. Price as configured: $938-$50 MIR=$888. Plus NO shipping or tax. Post back buddy! :)

Smokey

Edited by Smokey, 03 November 2005 - 03:34 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats a fairly good deal on a PC, just to be a stickler, CAD stands for computer aided drawing.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Sorry, my bad. I'm not certain on an upgrade to a 2 Ghz with the same L2. Is it really worth $75?

Edited by Smokey, 03 November 2005 - 03:35 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

just to be a stickler, CAD stands for computer aided drawing.

drafting

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry..computer aided design

*opens mouth...inserts foot

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Okay. I am a gamer, but I am going to mainly use it for processing and business applications. I am a finance major in our business department.

I want something that I can put some games on though, doesn't have to be top of the line, doesn't have to run F.E.A.R...but would be nice if it could run Half-Life2 or Doom III or something.

Basically, an all around machine that I could use. The 1.6ghz processor just seems really slow to me based on the fact that I am currently using a 3.2ghz pc...so...yeah...any more help there?

Also with Compaq, I had one of their desktops probably sometime around 1990-1995 and I will never buy a compaq desktop again...ick...lol...so I was thinking something like Alienware or Dell or I suppose most of my friends have had decent luck with Compaq.

And yes, portability and battery life would be nice, however, not the most important thing around here. 5 pounds won't make much difference to me.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
The 1.6 Ghz is way faster than a similar typical desktop processor. For a decent gaming laptop, you are going to have to break the $1,000 barrier, probably closer to $2k. Dell XPS or Alienware is the best bet for you, but be ready for hefty price tags. Check out their recommended systems or build one to your own liking and post back with the results. :tazz:

Exdeus

Exdeus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Dell XPS or Alienware is the best bet for you, but be ready for hefty price tags. Check out their recommended systems or build one to your own liking and post back with the results. :tazz:

I have heard a ton about Alienware and was looking heavily at their PC's. However, I have never seen them in any store nor have I ever seen one in person. Is there anywhere that I can see an Alienware laptop or fool with one that you know of? No stores carry them, at least not that I know of?

Thanks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Unless you know someone who has one, or a shop that has got one sold to them or maybe on for repair, some internet cafes have them especially the more gaming oreinted ones but its usually the PCs they have.