Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop hdd not recognised

• Please log in to reply

viceroy

viceroy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I hope somebody can help.
When i boot up my Acer laptop i get the message "disk 1/0 error, replace the disk and then press any key"
I have tried a system restore using the disks supplied with the laptop but then get an error message "error #58, unable to write to the boot sector. virus proection may be running" OK
Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Vic

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi viceroy, welcome to G2G

The first thing you need to check is whether you have boot sector protection enabled in the bios.
I'm not certain which key(s) you need to press to get into your bios but I know for some Acer laptops, its CTRL+ALT+ESC. You need to press these keys all at once, just after powering the laptop on & as soon as the display comes up. You may find you need to press them several times to get into the bios.

If these 3 keys don't get you in, you may see a message at the bottom of the screen telling you which keys to press instead.

Once in the bios, look for anything to do with virus protection or boot sector protection & disable it. Save the changes & exit the bios.

Try the restore CD again & see if it works this time.

If you can't get into the bios at all, let me know which model of laptop you have.

viceroy

viceroy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Samm
No joy with ctr alt esc.
the laptop model acer, travelmate 243x

Thanks
Vic

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, try the F2 key instead. Remember to press it several times in quick succession.

viceroy

viceroy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Samm
I`m in bios setup, but there isn`t anything there to do with virus protection or boot sector protection.

Vic

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Right, I've managed to locate the manual for your laptop and you are right - there is no boot sector virus protection by the looks of it!

Going back to your original post, you said you get an I/O error message. I assume this is when you attempt to boot from the hard disk with NO floppy disk or CD inserted, right?

Have you tried booting from a bootable floppy disk instead?
If you require a floppy boot disk, you can download one from this link :
http://freepctech.co.../files010.shtml

Make sure you download the MS Windows XP System Setup disk (single disk option). Once downloaded, just double click on this file, insert a new or known good floppy disk and it will create the boot disk for you.

viceroy

viceroy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Samm
I get the I/O error message when i attempt to boot from the hard disk with no CD inserted.
I dont have a floppy drive, so i can`t try a boot disk.

Vic

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thats a shame.
There's 2 other things I can suggest in that case:

1) create a bootable CD with a few hard disk utilities on OR

2) Buy a 2.5inch USB drive caddy - this will allow you to remove the drive, place it in the caddy & then connect it to another computer for diagnostics

viceroy

viceroy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Samm
Thanks for all your help.
I`ll try your suggestions and let you know how i get on.

Thanks again

Vic