Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting XP pro

• Please log in to reply

Graphotism

Graphotism

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
i have a old windows 98 pc, it has had XP professional installed instead, i want to revert the system back to 98 and delete XP...what is the best course of action? cheers :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you still have y our 98 install disks?

and a 98 bootdisk?

Graphotism

Graphotism

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i've got a Windows 98 boot disk and two windows set up cds, but i cannot boot from the cd's, even after changing boot prioritys, it just starts XP

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you want to remove XP and leave 98 on or remove the lot and then load 98

Graphotism

Graphotism

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i want to delete xp and reinstall 98

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Everest Home Edition

Run it, click + next to computer then summary, look on right for storage, the hard drive should be listed just after the floppy drive

Visit the manufacturer's site to look for their hard drive set up utility which should include a write zeros to drive option, which will clear the drive of everything

If you are unable to find anything, or are unsure if the files are correct, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Graphotism

Graphotism

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
can i use a windows 98 cd from another brand of computer to re install the OS? its not the windows that came with the pc but it should install right?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I format a 98SE machine by booting and tapping F8 until it gives options, selecting command prompt only, typing format c: then pressing enter, typing Y to confirm then pressing enter, it then wipes everything on the drive

Graphotism

Graphotism

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok thanks, i'll try that then installing windows 98 again from the boot disc and cds from my old packard bell machine into the q tech PC

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I suggested using the manufacturer's hard drive utilty as it would wipe anything off without running in to " you cannot do this cos XP won't let you "

Advertisements

Graphotism

Graphotism

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
its a seagate St320014a hard drive but ther appear to be no set up utilitys for it on seagates website

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here:

http://www.seagate.c...rs/discwiz.html

Disc wizard for windows

Not sure how the online version runs, but hope nobody runs it on your PC after you have re-installed everything :tazz:

Choose the Bootable ISO Image file then use Nero or similar to burn it as an image file to a CDR, you can then set the boot priority to CD ROM Drive then hard drive and it will load the CDR

Graphotism

Graphotism

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
once ive got discwiz.exe should i run it to find the ISO?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I downloaded the centre one with Bootable ISO Option ticked, it gives a file which you click to run, then you need to choose maintenance, click cancel for large drives option, then click format options and keep clicking next, I stopped there so I don't join you in wiping the drive

If it has a write zeros to drive option, the quick will be seconds, full will be hours but does a thorough job

Graphotism

Graphotism

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i can get into the utilities section and select zero write drive quick but it wont let me select next and obviously as its in dos i cant use the mouse