Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Dependent programs won't work

• Please log in to reply

ArcAngel14

ArcAngel14

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm using various filesharing programs, and they won't connect. Also, many other programs such as Winamp won't connect to radio sites. I figure that there has to be something wrong with internet or windows itself. Can anyone tell me what's up with my computer?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Have you got a firewall running? Try switching it off.

If you're runing Service Pack 2, pop into the Control Panel and turn off its firewall to see if that is blocking it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what file sharing programs are you using?

ArcAngel14

ArcAngel14

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I turned off my firewall, it's still not working. I think it probaly has to do something with the ISP, is there anyways I can get around that?

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
are you running your computer at home or as a part of a larger network at school/work, etc?

if you're on a larger network then the administrator might have blocked the necessary ports and there's no way of getting round that. if you're at home and you don't have any firewalls running then its either the isp or some configuration problem. if it's the isp, at least at home you have the option of switching isp's.