Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP crashed twice in one month! Please help me!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

XpUser

XpUser

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Recently, I have experienced a windows XP crash twice in the last month. Now, I'm almost clueless with computers and so, having no windows XP cd handy (was built in to the computer), I had to reformat the computer.

I don't remember the exact filename, but it told me that a system 32 file was either corrupted and/or missing, and that Windows could not start, not even in safe mode.

Now, I am getting garbage from all my family, and they're all blaming it on World Of Warcraft. I, for one, do not know what to believe anymore. I don't use third party programs, I don't download files like crazy, and I always keep my Norton up to date, and yet, people who use their computers in a far more careless fashion don't get half the problems I do. By the way, I also use Limewire, and one of my sisters has been downloading episodes from a TV show recently before the crash, but I guess that's just speculation at this point.

To continue, a month after I reformated the computer, the same problem occurs (I remember the night I first reformatted the computer, a windows file had auto-deleted itself), and last night I had to reformat the computer again! Now my family is really angry, but they're just as clueless in computers as I am, so I am not yielding to their arguments until I can be sure what's going on.

Can someone please help me? You guys are my only hope! I want to know what I'm doing wrong, and what I can do to rectify this situation.

Any help you can offer and/or knowledge you have this subject would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Please and thank you!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Geeks To Go do not provide assistance to people who use Limewire