Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

application type files

• Please log in to reply

trife

trife

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I seemed to have broken all application-type files. Anytime I try to open them it brings up Command Prompt instead of running the actual file. I tried system-restore but it too opens CP. I found somethings with google with similar symptoms but they all need regedit to open. However, runnning redegit does not work because it too tries to open in CP. Pretty much anything ending in .exe and a few other extentions are opening in CP. I'm not sure how to fix this or whatnot.

Edit: I managed to do a system restore but it did not fix the problem.

Edited by trife, 03 November 2005 - 06:11 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It's likely a registry key, go to Start>Run, type in regedit, hit OK, expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, look for .exe in the list, there may be more than one entry. If you find an entry that has command as the default opener, modify the key, edit it by removing the entry "command", do not delete the key. Be careful in the registry.

trife

trife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i actually was able to figure it out. It wasnt a prob with registry (I did manage to get into it by changing extension from .exe to .com and everything was as it was suppose to be. but some how all .exe files were set to open in command prompt insntead of running themselves. I managed to fix it by going to tools=>folder options=>file types and restoring EXE.

now if I can just figure out how to get rid of Trj/Donwloader.FRV lol

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

i actually was able to figure it out. It wasnt a prob with registry (I did manage to get into it by changing extension from .exe to .com and everything was as it was suppose to be. but some how all .exe files were set to open in command prompt insntead of running themselves. I managed to fix it by going to tools=>folder options=>file types and restoring EXE.

now if I can just figure out how to get rid of Trj/Donwloader.FRV lol

Yes, that's the alternate way of changing the file associations.