Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about ht procs

• Please log in to reply

seven3845

seven3845

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, first off thanks for taking time to read this and hopefully shed some light on my question. I have searched around to try and find an anser to my question, but I have not come up with a concrete answer.

I have a MSI Motherboard, model ms-6585 ( 648f neo). I bought it to replace an old mobo that went bad. It is currently running a 1.8 p4.

I just happened upon a great deal on a new proc, it is a p4 3.20e pga-478, and of course would love to use it.

However, my mobo doesnt specify if it can use an ht proc, the manual says it supports up to 3.2 core proc, and it states it can run the fsb at 800. So my wuestion is, can this board run this proc ? From my understanding, I cant use the HT in this board, but can I still put in the Proc to use it as a normal p4 running at the 3.2 ?

To simplify can i use an ht proc in a non ht board, and while understandibly losing the ht, still use the proc.
I dont want to try it and fry it lol.

Thanks you all for your help in advance.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Its not going to fry it aslong as it is the same socket of course.

There is options in the bios to turn off hyper threading so do this if you are leary. The cpu should work. Just try it and see if it will work. In the computer field everyone troubleshoots. It doesnt hurt to try. If it doesnt work send it back. Im certain it will work because the 3.2 ghz processors have hyperthreading only.

Edited by jrm20, 06 November 2005 - 11:33 AM.

seven3845

seven3845

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the info. I noticed my bios doesnt have an option for ht in it, but I am a few versions behind on updates. SO i will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks again

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Is this your motherboard??

http://www.msi.com.t...ail.php?UID=470

says HT ready. Up to 3.2 ghz cpu

Your set if that is the same board.

Edited by jrm20, 08 November 2005 - 06:07 PM.