Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive problems on a Compaq Armada 1750 Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Canuck

Canuck

• Pip
  • 4 posts
A new user on this site and I hope someone can help me.

Having hard drive problems on a Compaq Armada 1750 Laptop.

The SMART technology on the drive is issuing a warning about an imminent drive failure.

Looking thru various internet help sites have fount that the physical replacement of the drive does not seem very hard, but leaves me with a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1) When the new drive is installed, how does one get the operating system back up on the new drive and running? The data has been backed up and applications can be re-loaded easily.

2) Can the original sized drive be replaced with a larger drive, i.e. 40GB that seem much more common in the stores?

Thanks for the Help

Canuck

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It shows as an IDE drive so finding anothor one and replacing it shouldn't be difficult. If you buy a name brand drive it should come with software to format and install it. The easiest and best way is just to copy an image of the old hard drive to the new one, saving all your files and programs in the process. If need be you can put drive overlay software on the new drive to make the machine see the whole drive, but that probably won't be needed for a 40gb drive.