Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My computer reboots when I try to switch users, XP

• Please log in to reply

yodasw16

yodasw16

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I just installed windows XP pro SP2 on my computer. it was a clean install on a formatted HD. I set up two user screen names during instalation. After setting up all of the configurations that I wanted in the first desktop I went to log off...switch user and clicked on the second screen name. my computer immediately shut down and rebooted. I logged back in and did the same thing and it happened again. I logged into the second name and tried switching to the first and it did the same thing. Everytime I try to switch users I have the same problem. please help!! The main reason that I installed XP is so that my wife could have her own desktop. thanks.

David Gillhespy

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi yodasw16...Welcome to G2G!

Let's see if it's in your settings.

Click Start and then Control Panel. Double click the User Accounts icon. In the User Accounts window, click the link to "Change the way users log on or off"...put a tick in the box next to "Use Fast User Switching" and Apply Options and exit Control Panel.

Restart your machine and try switching users. Let us know how it goes...

wannabe1

yodasw16

yodasw16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
fast user switching was already selected

yodasw16

yodasw16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
problem solved. it was unupdated video drivers that were causing the problem. thanks for the help

dave