Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UPDATED: Problem solved by re-imaging. Manual recovery of .GHO file

• Please log in to reply

work4mike

work4mike

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Updated: Since I tried to recover the split 2nd image but failed, i have since re-imaged the disk again. I guess for next time, it is always a good idea to run the "check" image function in the ghost application to make sure the backup image you had done will indeed work.

Hello,

My first post on this forum!

I need help to manually recover a Symantec Ghost image. The Symantec Ghost version used is Symantec Ghost 8.0 Corporate Edition.

I recently imaged a partition, allowing Ghost to directly BURN the image to the CD writer attached to my laptop. It splitted the image across 2 CDRs. The 1st file on 1st CDR is CDR00001.GHO = 732,921,856 bytes. The 2nd file on the 2nd CDR is CDR00002.GHO = 85,975,194 bytes.

When I tried to recover the image, Ghost reported a problem on the 2nd file. The process failed.

I then copied BOTH the *.GHO files from BOTH CDRs to a 2nd hard drive and attempted to check the files. However, Ghost only checked the CDR00001.GHO file and did not automatically go to the 2nd CDR00002.GHO file. This means that the "split" information is somehow missing.

For some reason, using the ghost application to check the 2nd CDR00002.GHO file, does not show up as a correct ghost file. The error was: This file is not a Symantec ghost file. Or it is not the correct span segment. Task can not be completed.

QUESTION:
1) How do I manually repair the 2nd ghost file? The imaging process actually completed without errors when it "split" across 2 CDRs.

2) Can I join the CDR00001 and CDR00002 files together to become single Ghost image? Note: This is SPANNED because SPANNED files are .GHS

Thanks for all your help.

Rgds,
Mike.

Edited by work4mike, 05 November 2005 - 03:42 AM.

Advertisements