Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop freezes when I press print

• Please log in to reply

kawaiiakachan

kawaiiakachan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi. I have a Sony Vaio FS 630/WS and a Canon IP1600 printer. I bought this a little over one month ago. At first, my printer worked fine when I printed something from the microsoft office 2003 or microsoft works. However, it started freezing on me whenever I press print anywhere. Can someone help? I already tried uninstalling the printer and microsoft word. Nothing works.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

I am assuming your printer is connected to a USB port on your laptop, right?
If so, do you have any other USB devices or hubs connected to the laptop?

kawaiiakachan

kawaiiakachan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes, my printer is connected by a usb. I also have a optical mouse connected to another port.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
An optical mouse shouldn't really cause problems with the printer but it might be worth trying to print with the mouse disconnected just to check.

Other things you can check/try are :
1. Go into device manager (Run->devmgmt.msc), expand the USB Controller branch & double click on USB Root hub to open it's properties. Next click on the Power management tab & uncheck the box marked 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. Click OK.

2. Click on Run & type msconfig <OK>. Go to the startup tab & let me know what programs you have listed in there. (I just need the entries in the left hand column, not the entire path name).

3. Do you know which chipset you have & whether the USB controller is version 2.0 or 1.1? Also, do you have any XP Service packs installed?

kawaiiakachan

kawaiiakachan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The programs that are listed in the startup tab when I ran the msconfig:
NvCpl
Apoint
reminder
PartSeal
TVTLInstTool
SPMgr
Switcher
ISBMgr
VAIOUpdt
RTHDCPL
ALCMTR
igfxtray
hkcmd
ICO
AvRmtCtr
ccApp
DeadAIM
SNDMon
jusched
aim
(unchecked boxes listed under this)
msmsgs
Adobe Reader Speed Launch
Service Manager
SpySubtract

As for the chipset, I don't know where to find that. I did a search in System Information and it came up Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family. Is that it? My USB controller is 2.0 and I have a Service Pack 2.

kawaiiakachan

kawaiiakachan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried printing without my mouse connected, but the same thing still happens.

Edited by kawaiiakachan, 04 November 2005 - 11:29 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi
What I suggest you do next, is go back into msconfig & disable every single entry in the list. Reboot, then try & print again. If printing works this time, you will need to re-enable the items in the startup list one at a time in order to identify which one is causing the problem (remember to reboot each time). If disabling all the startup items has no effect at all, then obviously just re-enable all of them.

I've given a brief description of what each of your startup entries are for, so that you know what you're disabling/re-enabling :

NvCpl - **See notes below
Apoint - touchpad driver
reminder - could be related to any number of things
PartSeal - Sony's backup/restore utility
TVTLInstTool - Sonys TV tuner library installer
SPMgr - Sony vaio power management
Switcher - sony wireless lan switcher
ISBMgr - sony utility
VAIOUpdt - sony utility
RTHDCPL - realtek audio
ALCMTR - realtek audio
igfxtray - intel video
hkcmd - hot key utility
ICO - sony utility
AvRmtCtr - sony utility
ccApp - Symantec (Nortons)
DeadAIM - AOL instant msgr
SNDMon - Symantec (Nortons)
jusched - Java
aim - AOL Instant msgr

** If the file loading here is NVCPL.DLL then its part of Nvidia's display driver - check to make sure you have an Nvidia graphics card in this case. If however the file being loaded is NVCPL.EXE then it's malware & needs removing completely.

Let me know which it is by checking the path & file name in the right hand coloumn in msconfig.

kawaiiakachan

kawaiiakachan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi. I did what you told me to do by going to msconfig and disabling all of the items. My printer did work when I did that. I slowly enabled one at a time and surprisingly the printer still worked. I typed "hi' on microsoft word and it printed.

The NvCpl had a path:
rundll32.exe C:\Windows\System32\NvCpl.dll, NvStartup

However, I am trying to save a document for my class to print out now. It gives me an error that the program is not responding. What can I do now?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can you tell me what program you created the document in & can you confirm that the error message occurs whilst trying to save the document, as opposed to trying to print it, please?

Also, does the error message give any other info at all? i.e a blue screen error often lists the program or module thats caused the error, the type of error (e.g fatal exception etc) & a memory address

kawaiiakachan

kawaiiakachan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, I am copying a document from a Blackboard webpage and transfering it to Microsoft word 2003 (saving it as a .doc). I tested my laptop out again before turning on my printer and I was able to save the document. Once I turned the Canon printer on and tried to print it I get a message saying

"The printer has not yet reponded, but Microsoft Office program may be able to proceed without printer information. Do you want to continue to wait for the printer?" Yes or No. Click Yes freezes my whole laptop and clicking no does not allow me to open my document anymore.

After ending the the program, I get an error message saying "You chose to end the nonresponsive program, Microsoft Word. Under it, it states "the program is not responding."

Another problem I have is that I cannot send any error message. There's 3 items on the checklist: "preparing error report, connecting to server, and checking the status of the problem". It always stays on "preparing error report."

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, out of interest, have you now re-enabled all the items in the startup list? If so, can you try disabling them all again, then see if you can re-create the problem you've just described.

Which OS are you using by the way?

kawaiiakachan

kawaiiakachan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I did re-enable the startup items. I followed your instructions to disable them again, and it worked fine. Do i have to slowly re-enable the items again to figure out which one is causing the problem? I am running on Window XP Home.

* I really appreciate all the help.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi, yes I would re-enable one at a time & run the system for a short while before enabling the next one. This is the best way of determining which one is causing the problem.

Let me know when you have figured it out!

kawaiiakachan

kawaiiakachan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
As of right now, the problem is fixed. I am not sure why it froze before, but it has not done since I disabled the startup items. I re-enabled all of them and the printer still works. I had NvCpl listed in the startup list twice when I disabled all the items. Is that normal? Thanks for anything. I will keep you posted if it happens again.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
A few startup items do create a new entry in the startup list if the original one has been disabled - which is what nvcpl is obviously doing. This is perfectly ok, just make sure you only have one occurance of nvcpl enabled though!

Good luck & keep me posted :tazz: