Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop freezes when I press print

• Please log in to reply

kawaiiakachan

kawaiiakachan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello. It is me again. My laptop is acting up again when I copied a document to word and tried to change the margin on the page. I went to misconfig and disabled all the startup items and it works again. What else can I do, since I cannot find which one is causing the problem when I re-enable one at a time. Do I have to re-enable anything or can I just leave the startup list disabled? If I have to re-enable any of them, could you tell me which one. Thanks.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

The only way to really troubleshoot this is to re-enable one at a time, as I said before. However, what I didn't make clear was that when you re-enable one item (after disabling everything), you really run to run the system for a few days (assuming you use it everyday, longer if you don't) before re-enabling the next item. Make sure especially, that in that time, you do plenty of the things which are currently causing the system to crash - i.e Word & printing etc).

In regards to which items can be left disabled & which cannot, rather depends on what you use the laptop for i.e whether you experience any loss of functionality as a result. This is why I gave a brief description of what each entry was for in a previous post.

The most important one to re-enable, is the anti-virus. This means that the first thing to re-enable are the entries ccApp AND SNDMon first. Re-enable both of these at the same time, reboot, then run the laptop as usual for a few days. If you still have problems in that time, then you've probably just found the cause. Otherwise, after a few days of no problems, leave the Symantec stuff enabled & re-enable another item.

Next off, I would try re-enabling the backup/restore utility (partseal), just in case.
After that, re-enable the power management utility - SPMgr

A lot of the items in the startup list pertain to Sony Vaio utilities. You may experience some loss of functionality as a result of one or more of these being disabled (e.g the power management utility may be affected etc). If you do, and it's a function that you actually need, then re-enable the relevant startup item next. Otherwise, just carry on enabling one every few days.

Things which you don't need re-enabling are :

Apoint - touchpad driver IF you use an external mouse instead of touchpad
The 2 realtek audio items - RTHDCPL & ALCMTR. You should still have sound card function without these.
igfxtray -intel system tray utility
hkcmd - hotkey utility (unless of course u find this really useful)
The 2 AOL Instant messenger items - Deadaim & AIM. (This can be started manually if you use it at all)
AvRmtCtr - Only needed if you have a remote control for the laptop
ISBMgr - part of sonys multimedia utility
ICO - Sony mouse utility (mouse will work without this)
NVCpl
reminder
TVTInstTool (disable if not using TV tuner function)
Switcher (disable if not using wireless lan/internet)
jusched - probably not needed
VAIOUpdt

So if you re-enable any of these, do them last of all and one at a time.

Let me know how you get on

kawaiiakachan

kawaiiakachan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I think I found out my problem. Could it be AIM? Because everytime I'm on AIM and attempt to print or adjust a file, my computer freezes. So, I disabled it again and refuse to open AIM unless I need to. What do I do now if that is problem?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yes, it could certainly be AOL Instant Messenger thats causing the problem.
Your options in that case, are:
Either just carry on doing what you are doing now- i.e keeping AIM disabled & starting it manually if and when you need to use it.
OR
Uninstall AIM completely & don't use it at all
OR
(as a long shot) see if there's a newer version of AIM available which MAY fix the problems you are experiencing.