Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random PC Hangs

• Please log in to reply

MoonMan

MoonMan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I seem to be a little problem that I just can't fix. I've tried everything possible with no helpful results and I'm assuming it's a motherboard issue now.

My Problem: My computer randomly hangs for 15-30 seconds. Everything freezes, Mouse, Keyboard, Applications. Task Manager reports a 100% CPU usage. This problem is getting extremely annoying.

What I've done: I've tried everything basicly. Reformatted my hard drive too many times with 3 different operating systems (Windows 2000, Windows XP Home/Pro, Windows 2003) all with the same problem. I've ran 3 different Anti-Virus programs/2 Different Anti-Trojan Scanners/Spyware Scanner/3 Different Firewalls, no results [same problem]. I've booted Windows XP Home Edition with only 2 Services running in the background and only the major processes running in the background, no dice. Updated Windows XP Home Edition with every single critical update/service pack. I've updated every driver for my PC from OEM website Audio/Graphics/Networking/BIOS. I've changed out my Network Card disabling the on board, nothing. I've changed out hard drives nothing. I've changed out memory, nothing. I've tried running the PC at a cooler temp., nothing. I've cleaned out my PC case of any dust, nothing. Basicly I've tried everything in the book, no results.

Solution? I'm stumped, I don't know what else I could try. It seems like everything I try to do results in a failure. I would love some help right now!

Thank you for your time, greatly appreciate anyone who could help me out.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy MoonMan...

Looks like you've covered just about everything except the power supply.

Download Speed Fan (Click on the SpeedFan 4.26 link in the second paragraph), install it, and run it to monitor voltages and temperatures. Pay particular attention to the voltages...a fluctuation of as little as .5v (even less for the 1.5v leg) is enough to cause system and application hangs.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 04 November 2005 - 12:26 AM.

MoonMan

MoonMan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'll check it out right now, but you are right Power Supply. I've thought about it, but didn't take it too seriously. Should I be looking for a 400watt power supply? I'm not sure what I have in my PC at the moment.

Shadow Tech

Shadow Tech

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well I had the same problem with my XP home (sp1). It would freeze and you would have to log off to try again or shut down. So what I did is install SP 2 and the problem went away. But now I have to fix the sound driver. So when you install SP 2 make sure you have some information on a disk.