Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about sound Cards

• Please log in to reply

waffle11

waffle11

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I am looking into getting a sound card but I have been told that there isnt a big difference between my mobo's intergrated sound and this sound card.

I was wondering if someone might know if it would be worth the money.

This is my Mobo: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813123219

This is the sound card I am looking at: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829102171

:tazz:

Edited by waffle11, 03 November 2005 - 11:24 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I can tell you right now that the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition is a better sound card than any integrated audio. Some integrated audio is decent but not great. The creative is better.

waffle11

waffle11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
but what does a sound card have that intergrated audio dosent is my question

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Better sound quality, THX Certified, EAX Advanced HD and hookups for subwoofers.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The X-fi sound cards are even better and are the best for gaming/ music hardcore users.

waffle11

waffle11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
so I assume that means there would be a noticeable difference between intergrated audio and that sound card.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yes If you have the right speakers and subwoofer.

Example if you put a speaker set with a sub it will sound alot better with the creative Audigy2 than the integrated. The integrated sound cards dont have as much power to give the sub clarity. You can enable special options in games with creative series cards.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you are a music lover/ fanatic and like 3d surround in games and like subwoofers then get a good sound card like you listed or a X-fi sound card.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I've always had serious problems with creative labs cards in the past. more often than not it has led me to reformat my computer. if you're really into having good sound, spend a little more, stay away from creative and get a really nice sound card. its money well spent. most people don't realize just how much it improves the sound quality.

for mid-range card I recommend the turtle beach line
http://www.turtlebea...efault.asp?wb=1

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Turtle beach is decent cards but they are cheaper than the ones we talked about above from creative. Both of the creative Listed owns that turtle beach.

Turtle beach are too cheap.

Yes creative has all varieties of cards from cheap to expensive. I will agree stay away from creatives older and cheap cards that are under $30 but we didnt list cheap creative cards.

The Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition is $122 and is way way better than any turtle beach. The X-fi run from $120 -$400.

I would go with a creative brand from audigy 2 if you stay with 5.1 sound. To keep up with technology get a X-fi platinum 8 (7.1) if you want 7.1 sound.

http://www.newegg.co...&InnerManu=1137 <------------------- List of creative sound cards.

Edited by jrm20, 04 November 2005 - 09:07 AM.

Advertisements

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I don't like creative labs in general. yes turtle beach cards are cheap but its good sound for the money. if you're going to spend that much on a card anyway, why not just go all the way and find some other better company besides creative?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
There isnt a better company now, creative makes the best cards now the X-Fi series. M-audio sound cards are cheap and they have 1 card that is $200 but is for mixing or making your own music only.

The SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatality is the best out right now for pc, google it. The $400 one

parkin_m

parkin_m

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Not to but im but... Im doing Music tech software development, so this is kinda my thing! What kind of monitoring system are you going to be setting up? If you are going to be using standard stero, or even a cheap set of 5.1/7.1 you may aswell stick with the onboard sound.

getting a seperate sound card means you can record at a higher quality and get a better audio latency for producing and such not.

If your playing games with stereo or midrange set of 5.1 you really wont notice the difference imo. That mobo has surround sound output anyway, stick with that!

Its always temptimg to spend more money on stuff you dont need! ( I should know, i bought a 4400+ lol)

p.s the best sounds cards you can get are made by Motu, imho The SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatality is just nice to look at. Soundblaster is a rubbish make of soundcard
Mike

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
He doesnt want a sound card for music making he wants a gaming sound card for games. I agree with you on the music making parkin_m and you would be right, but I was just giving an example on music making cards. He doesnt want a music making sound card. The creative Audigy2 and X-Fi are great for games.

If I was to buy right now I would get a X-Fi with the Logitech Z-5500 series speakers with the 10 inch subwoofer. (I know its 5.1) that sub booms loud. Its a little too much for the average user though.

The cheap creatvie cards do suck, The Audigy2 platinum series and the X-Fi are good cards and everyone has there preferences, good or bad. I havnt ever bought a cheap sound card so I havnt had any problems ever with creative.

But let me tell you if you like dvd movies and play the next generation games omg the Z-5500 speakers and subwoofer matched with an Audigy 2 or X-Fi are amazing.

Edited by jrm20, 05 November 2005 - 03:32 PM.

parkin_m

parkin_m

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
woha, wasnt ment to offend.

My point was, unless you are making music then an expensive so undcard is not worth the money.

All the extra monety is not really warrented when buying an expensive soundcard for gaming or DVD. You said you have never had a cheap soundcard, you should try one out. From a technical point of view there really isnt much difference.