Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

widows 98 install problems

• Please log in to reply

jimfu2

jimfu2

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi, I have tried to load windows 98 to a desk top pc using the instructions in one of you forums(Installing win98 by DHooper). The problem is that when I type in the command to go to fdisk at step 4 the computer tells me that it is unable to read fdisk. I have also tried to load win2000 onto the same machine and after it finishes copying the set up files and the computer reboots I receive and error saying, "unable to access boot partition". Is the hdd kaput or am I doing something wrong? Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Jim :tazz:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Are you sure you are using a proper boot disk?
Go to www.bootdisk.com and download a new bootdisk to a floppy.
Try this one.

jimfu2

jimfu2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Petem,
Can you please explain to me how these boot disks work and how do I get the floppy to run with dos commands. I am new to win 98 and this is the first time I've tried to load it onto a machine.
Thanks a lot.
Kind regards
Jim

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Jim
The 1st step is to make sure you have a full boot disk that has fdisk on it.
That is why it is best to go to www.bootdisk.com and download a fresh disk.
My guess is the one you are using does not have the fdisk file. If you want to check
put your disk in a computer and at the A:>dir/p enter
Can you see fdisk listed?
I hope you know that when you run this you loose all data on the disk.

Cheers
Peterm

jimfu2

jimfu2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Peter,
I downloaded a new boot disk and everything is working fine now. Win 98 installed. It is the first time I have loaded 98 and the first boot disk was not doing anything and I was unsure if there was something I had to do to get it to run. I probably sound like a dummy but XP seems to be a little bit easier to load than 98. Thank a lot for your time and help it is very much appreciated.
Thanks again
Jim

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Jim
Glad I could help.
If XP plays up and you need to make a boot disk it needs 6 floppies to create a boot,
So not always better.
If you need anymore help let us know there is always someone here to help.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 06 November 2005 - 02:27 AM.