Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor resolution problems

• Please log in to reply

gezkc

gezkc

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi all,

I was having problems with my Windows 98 SE freezing on the start up screen and deleted and re-installed Windows (which solved the problem - thanks Keith!) :tazz:

The only problem is that now when I log on to Windows, the resolution is stuck on 480 x 640 16 colours and I can't adjust it above this (the slider in the Display Properties screen won't move).
My monitor's a Relisys C708 and I've downloaded and reinstalled the driver for this, but this hasn't changed anything.

Does anyone know what I can do to improve the resolution? It was working fine before I re-installed Windows. Any help will be gratefully received!
Many thanks
Gez

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need the video adapter drivers also, these set the screen resolution and colour depth, the monitor driver is needed if your video adapter does not recognise the monitor

Download Everest Home Edition

Run it, click + next to computer then summary, look on right for display / video adapter

Visit the manufacturer's site to look for 98SE drivers

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

If you are unable to find anything, or are unsure if the files are correct, please post the make and model here before you download anything

gezkc

gezkc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK,
Under Display, Video Adapter, Everest says I've got a Standard PCI Video Adapter (VGA).

I also looked under Devices - PCI devices and it says I've got a Leadtek Winfast 3D S325 Video Adapter...

What's a Standard PCI Video Adapter? Is this the reason I can't get better resolution than 640 x 480?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.leadtek.c..... series(S325)

You need the middle one for 98SE

WinFast 3D S32x Series display driver easy installation.
Total size:[21287 KB]

gezkc

gezkc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've saved the winfast 3d exe file to my computer. When I run it, it doesn't seem to do anything though. It starts off and says "please wait" and then nothing.
Also, in Device Manager in the Control Panel, it doesn't give me the option to select Leadtek as one of the manufacturers of Display drivers in the Device Driver wizard.
Am I doing something wrong?
Gez

gezkc

gezkc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry - just being stupid there for a minute!
I've managed to install the driver now and the screen resolution's back to normal.

Thanks for your help Keith - much appreciated :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hopefully Everest will say Leadtek now

Thank You for letting me know