Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

autochk

• Please log in to reply

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
hey all, i got a mates computer here, when you start it up it goes to the windows xp blue screen thing (the virus scan thing) and it says autochk was not found or is corrupt, or something like that, then restarts and the same thing happens over and over again, now im sure i can fix it by running windows from the disc and having it repair itslef, but the problem is its a Dell computer (the first one ive ever used so im not sure what the differences are, though ive noticed a few) and normally where it would say push a button to boot from disc, it just skips that part entirely, what shoudl i do to solve this?

ive tried entering setup when the computer first boots up and i can but i cant boot fomr disc from there, i also tried entering safe mode, same problem

any help would be appreciated and my mate is in no hurry, i just got him a different computer to use untill i get this one fixed)

cheers,
Ben

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In set up, you need to change the boot priority to CD ROM then hard drive, press F10 to save change then type Y to confirm and press enter

A difference with recovery CD's is that they can do a destructive recovery which returns the PC to its day one condition, removing all the data and additional programmes

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
i tried doing that but it still skips past the screen so im not sure what to do.