Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access to partners files

• Please log in to reply

marcarenzio

marcarenzio

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, so here is the deal... I work with a partner of mine, brian...

We are in the mortgage business, so we need access to eachothers information all the time... The program that we want to share info on is called "point"...

We both have the application, but the application saves files in the form of .bwr and .pst files. Basically, you go in, and search for the files that you want to review. I have some of these types of files on my computer that he needs access to, and I need access to some of these types of files that are on his computer...

Basically we want to network these files to both of our computers so we both have access.. I think it shouldnt be that hard because we are already linked through a router and a LAN connection...

Please help if you can, or please provide some guidance..
Thanks...

Daniel Lehman

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well you have a few different options, it depends on how easy you want to make it on yourself I guess. You can choose to save these files to a folder that is already shared, or create a new folder to save the files in and right click that folder and click properties, click the "Sharing" tab and share the folder. Or you could just share the folder they're already in. Once you share the folder you can click the security tab and add or remove groups/users from the list or assign certain permissions. I say to share a folder rather than share the file because this makes things much easier. Let me know if you have any more questions.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

what_the

what_the

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I would invest in a 3rd computer and store all the files on that. Then that way you both have access to everything at all times. It will also make backing things up easier. You could even set it up so that you can access the files on it if your out of the office on a business trip.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you just brought a 3 year old topic out of the gutter for no real reason....hehe i doubt anyone involved will see your response

but i'll take this opportunity to get on my soapbox.

the windows workgroup is dead (or at least should be)...with the ease of use and the cheap prices of routers and NAS devices...there's no reason to get a 3rd computer and go through the hassle of setting up a workgroup....just buy a router (if there isn't already one) and get a cheap NAS (you can get them much cheaper than a 3rd PC)....with a NAS you can set up file permissions, create users, even connect DIRECTLY to the internet so you can access your files from anywhere....all without touching a windows workgroup....