Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hposts07 and many others slowing me down!

• Please log in to reply

tessybrooker

tessybrooker

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Over the weekend, we had several problems with our ME machine. Finally got it back to what appeared to be normal, and now, it keeps locking up for no apparent reason.

CTRL+ALT+DEL shows the following running...

Hposts07
Hpofxm07
Hpoid407
Hpoipm07
Hpoevm07
Hpodev07
Remind32

These were not there before a couple of days ago.

Every time I go into the startup file to stop something from starting on bootup, it comes back with the next boot.

Help.

Thanks!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tessybrooker...

All of the apps you listed that begin with "HP" are related to your printer/fax machine. The Remind32 is associated with Caere OmniPage Pro and is a reminder to register their product...this one may be stopped.

Click Start then Run and type msconfig in the run box...click "Ok". Under the Startup tab, scroll down the list until you find Remind32...deselect the app, click "Apply" then "Ok".

Restart you machine. Upon restart you will get a "Selective Startup" dialog box...check the box in the lower left and click "Ok".

There are more applications under the Startup tab that may be removed, but many are necesary for Windows to run properly...don't get carried away. More information on which programs may be safely removed from startup is available at Sysinfo.org.

wannabe1

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Hi again,

The minimum you need checked in the start up menu is as follows:

ScanRegistry

SystemTray

StateMgr

Antivirus program entries

Firewall program entries

Windows ME and its associated hardware and software need very few other programs to be running in the background.