Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brother MFC420CN Network Printer

• Please log in to reply

hemanjoyman

hemanjoyman

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Has anybody ever encountered a situation where your card reader on your printer will not work.

Well, it does work because I can print pictures from the printer when I insert the Compact Flash card in the reader, but I cannot access the card from the PC.

I can fax, print and scan, but not access the cards from the PC.

I have followed the instructions to set up the printer, giving it an IP address and name, and so on, but no luck.

I am using a netgear router. I just keep getting a message that I do not have permission to access the network folder for the printer which is where the information accessed from the cards would go.

Does anybody know what the problem can be???

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Are you using Photo Capture Centre? If so, you need to stop using it (by pressing the Stop/Exit button) in order to access the card (according to Brother, anyway).

hemanjoyman

hemanjoyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I was reading the manual at work just a few minutes ago, and I saw that too, I can't try it now until I get home later today. I hope that works, but I will find out.

thanks

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, let us know how you get on!

hemanjoyman

hemanjoyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I tried stopping photo capture, but still no go, i still can't get it to work. I don't understand what is going on. I am sure I am setting everything up correctly. This is the error I get when trying to access the network photocapture folder:

"Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission
to access the folder."

"Details: A connection with the server could not be established."

Edited by hemanjoyman, 05 November 2005 - 09:15 PM.

Feral

Feral

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have this printer and I know why Virtual Directory listings thorugh the IP is disabled you have to call the printer from its actual name its also not a http protocol it uses a FTP

mine is a Brother MFC-420cn and here is what you need to use to access the card reader built into the printer
here is the link to browse the card that was installed on my desktop when i installed the suite copy and paste this in any browser and it should let you in

ftp://brn_748d9a/

I have my printer wired through my lan and its also a netgear in the possibility that your name on the printer was changed go into the admin panel of the router and click attached devices then add it will list your printer hostname there

I have tried this with my wireless laptop that does NOT have any of the printer software installed and the main machine the software is they both can read it

Edited by Feral, 17 November 2005 - 04:00 PM.

hemanjoyman

hemanjoyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
On Mozilla FireFox version 1.5:

I tried it, my printer name is BRN_672532, so I typed ftp://BRN_672532 but it did not work...I got this error message: "The FTP server 200 ITRON embedded printer OS. is currently unsupported."

Any idea what that is???

On Internet Explorer:

"Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission
to access the folder."

"Details: A connection with the server could not be established."

Same error as before.

Edited by hemanjoyman, 17 November 2005 - 08:13 PM.

Feral

Feral

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hrmmm thats really weird.....

here is how I made my printer compleatly work
before connecting it to the network I reset the Printers config to DHCP and let my router assign it a IP

once the router assigned it an IP I set the router to always keep that IP for THAT printer...

once that was setup I copy and pasted to a blank notepad page the host name

I then popped the installation disk into the computer and clicked install Suite
once it started it asked if it was local/LPT(parallel port) or Network/Lan I selected network lan, ticked the custom install
it asked what i wanted to install I installed everything being this syetm has 1.5 terabytes space... when it asked how would I connect I selected the third option which is hostname and pasted the hostname the router reported the printer gave it

after that everythings a breeze everything went flawless, everyone and alot of the topics I see ALWAYS has something to do with the scanner not working well this one does I set the scan to pc option on and it worked flawlessly

I do know with the install you need the BRN in caps
but when I call it from a browser ( which my default is Firefox ) it comes up as lowercase (tried to see if it makes a difference if its caps and lowercase )

I tried lowercase and uppercase it automatically set to lowercase
I tried with no / at the end it added it

this is really weird ??? I know its not software related problem I know its not hardware or network ????? it works with my laptop that doesn't have the software and my desktop that does ???

This boggles me now I just ran a whole bunch of tests here are the machines

2.4ghz, windows xp (Desktop)
Dual 2.4, Linux Mandrake Server (Desktop)
Dual 2.4, Debian Server (Desktop)
P3 933 with 2000/98 dual boot (Laptop)

All systems are FIREFOX Default
*NOTE*
The ONLY system with the Printer drivers are the XP Desktop

the Debian server could NOT read the mem card slot on the printer with ftp://brn_748d9a (Connection refused) but read it with ftp://192.168.0.XXX

the Mandrake server could NOT read the mem card slot on the printer with ftp://brn_748d9a (Connection refused) but read it with ftp://192.168.0.XXX

The Dualboot laptop read with BOTH ftp://192.168.0.XXX and ftp://brn_748d9a

The XP Desktop read with BOTH ftp://192.168.0.XXX and ftp://brn_748d9a

heres a screen cap
http://www.teamk3.com/IMAG0016.JPG

** reads the 4 manuals accompanied with his printer

from the jibberish of the manuals its either an incompatable card or a Printer firmware problem

hrmmm I just plugged my printer VIA a usb port and it wouldn;t work I beleive UNLESS its wired through a LAN network the browser surfing ability is removed I beleive the browser surf is ONLY for the LAN part.... when I plugged it in through USB it would not work with the browser and only with the supplied photoediting software

hemanjoyman

hemanjoyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I will try doing the custom network install when I get home later in the evening today. I will let you know how it goes.

thanks

hemanjoyman

hemanjoyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I tried that custom network install, and no go. Now, I have it networked and I am using a usb cable at the same time, so only the main computer can access the card. I guess I could share the F: drive and access it through other computers that way, since the card reader was given the F: drive.

thanks for the help.