Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Causing me major hassle

• Please log in to reply

parkin_m

parkin_m

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi there,
I finished building my computer yesterday... it took me absolutely ages, and had loads of problems. I have finally got everything working, well kind of. I have XP Pro (legal copy) working on the computer now. I have 3 main problems.

My motherboard is the Dfi Lanparty UT Ultra D (rest of the spec should show below this message)

Firstly I cannot get any of the ports to become USB 2. they all work fine, but only as USB 1.0. I think i am missing a driver or something, but i am guessing windows update will prob fix it.

Secondly, my MAIN problem, is that i cant get the computer to connect to the LAN. We have a firewalled ADSL router in my house, which is attached to a gigabit switch. i am on my laptop at the moment, adn everythink is fine, all i do is plug in the ethernet cable, and everything gets done automatically. NOT the same with my new desktop PC. I have tried to install all kinds of things

thirdly, (which might be related to 2ndly.) i cant get XP firewall to turn off. i tell it to turn off, but it still shows as being on.

WHATS GOING ON!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well, on the lan, the ports may be simply turned off you can turn them back on again from network settings or device manager. I might think of trying a different windows xp pro installation CD, was it a recovery cd or was it a proper installation disk. The xp firewall shouldnt really cause a probem for a lan, ive never had any bother with it. I have had bother with xp pro it is a real pain when it comes to small networks and simple lans, i would talk to the networking guys on that one.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
check your bios for a setting such as "enable usb 2.0 support" or something like that...

also
right click on my computer > manage > device manager
do you see any yellow ?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Also if you reinstall the USB drivers try the Windows Upate link on the Hardware Wizard. They do have an update, and it does work with SOME machines.

parkin_m

parkin_m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks alot for the feedback. I decided the easiest thing to dow as to do a clean install of Xp. I managed to get everything working this time after loads of faffing about!

I still cant get USB 2.0 working tho. I have downloaded every update i could throught windows update, and reinstalled driverrs twice.

If anyone knows what i should download and install then please tell me!

the mobo is

DFI LANPARTY NF4 UT ULTRA D

cheers
mike :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The only thing I can suggest now is go to the mobo maker's site and see if they have something, or go to the USB hub maker's site and see.

parkin_m

parkin_m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yeah i tried DFi, that was no good. What do you mean by hub? im talking about the USB ports on the mobo itself. Is that what you are refering to?