Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repeated Norton messages- logs attached [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Beck

Beck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I'm sure I could- I just renewed it in September.

The problem has not returned since I added the Ip address to my "trusted zones", would it be Ok to just keep it like this, or is that not a safe thing to do?

I am fairly new to computers, I know how to uninstall a program, but how do I re-install it? Do I need to go to the website? And how do I protect myself while I am installing it?

Advertisements

daparker

daparker

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Where did you get the program from in the first place? Do you have it saved somewhere?

Beck

Beck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Where did you get the program from in the first place? Do you have it saved somewhere?

I downloaded the Norton from their website. I have never saved it on a disc or anything.

I re-configured the Norton Firewall, and added the IP address 127.0.01 to my "trusted zones", thus stopping the Norton from blocking the pages, that is not enough to solve the problem permanently? Or is this somthing that I really shouldn't stay in?

Edited by Beck, 09 November 2005 - 08:49 PM.

Beck

Beck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I went through the support system at Symantec, and I got the directions on how to reinstall the Norton. In the directions, it says i need to start the computer with no programs loading (clean boot mode). Will that prevent me from accessing the internet? Another question I have is, how do I protect my computer while I am reinstalling the Norton? It looks like it will take a while, and I will be at the web site to load it.

daparker

daparker

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
1. I don't know what clean boot mode means, so I can't tell you if it will prevent you from accessing the Internet.

2. When you are reinstalling Norton, just disconnect from the Internet.

Beck

Beck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Should I install a temporary firewall before I start this?

daparker

daparker

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
As long as you are disconnected from the Internet while you are uninstalling/reinstalling Norton, you should be fine.

Beck

Beck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
My friend just sent me this link at Symentec, which sounds like the problem I am having.

http://service1.syma..._sch_nam&seg=hm

It sounds like we have solved the problem when you had me allow the Ip address. What do you think?

daparker

daparker

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
That fix might very well work. Try creating the loopback, then remove you entry and see if it works for you.

Beck

Beck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Looks like I am all set- the computer is working fine now

Advertisements

daparker

daparker

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Can I see a final HJT log then?

Beck

Beck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:38:54 PM, on 11/10/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 922\dlbtbmgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 922\dlbtbmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\TaskPanl.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Netscape Internet Service\ncupdatesvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\Netscape Internet Service\dialer.exe
C:\Program Files\Netscape Internet Service\Netscape Web Accelerator\nsaccel.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Netscape Internet Service\css.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NSMdtr.exe
C:\Hijackthis2\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://start.earthlink.net
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://www.earthlink...ton/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.earthlink...ton/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.earthlink...ton/search.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.earthlink...ton/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5400
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_19_0.dll
O2 - BHO: PBlockHelper Class - {4115122B-85FF-4DD3-9515-F075BEDE5EB5} - C:\PROGRA~1\NETSCA~1\NETSCA~1\pbhelper.dll
O2 - BHO: EarthLink Popup Blocker - {4B5F2E08-6F39-479a-B547-B2026E4C7EDF} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\PnEL.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_19_0.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Pop-Up Blocker - {D7F30B62-8269-41AF-9539-B2697FA7D77E} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\PnEL.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell Photo AIO Printer 922] "C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 922\dlbtbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOL Spyware Protection] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.2\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LDM] \Program\BackWeb-8876480.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [E6TaskPanel] "C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\TaskPanl.exe" -winstart
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LDMConf.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Show All Original Images - res://C:\Program Files\Netscape Internet Service\Netscape Web Accelerator\nsaccel.exe/250
O8 - Extra context menu item: Show Original Image - res://C:\Program Files\Netscape Internet Service\Netscape Web Accelerator\nsaccel.exe/227
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .fpx: C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\PLUGINS\\NPRVRT32.dll
O12 - Plugin for .ivr: C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\PLUGINS\\NPRVRT32.dll
O16 - DPF: {5AA5A569-F96F-4628-A528-8B3698F558BB} (HS_live Control) - http://install.homes...ive/HS_live.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1126013339828
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://fpdownload.m...ash/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{23FC7D03-4B53-4B64-B27C-66E47E671524}: NameServer = 205.188.146.145
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: dlbt_device - Dell - C:\WINDOWS\System32\dlbtcoms.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Netscape Update Service (NCUpdateSvc) - Netscape Communications Corporation - C:\Program Files\Netscape Internet Service\ncupdatesvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

daparker

daparker

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Ok, looks good. Below I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer in order to prevent future malware infections. Please take these recommendations seriously; these few simple steps can stave off the vast majority of spyware problems. As happy as we are to help you, for your sake we would rather not have repeat customers. :tazz:
  • On a regular basis, please navigate to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and download all the "critical updates" for Windows, including the latest version of Internet Explorer. This can patch many of the security holes through which attackers can gain access to your computer.
  • In order to protect yourself against spyware, you should consider installing and running the following free programs:
    • Ad-Aware SE. A tutorial on using Ad-Aware to remove spyware from your computer may be found here. You have this installed currently. Please keep it updated and run it on a regular basis.[
    • Spybot-Search & Destroy. A tutorial on using Spybot to remove spyware from your computer may be found here. Please also remember to enable Spybot's "Immunize" and "TeaTimer" features. You have this installed currently. Please keep it updated and run it on a regular basis.
    • SpywareBlaster. A tutorial on using SpywareBlaster to prevent spyware from ever installing on your computer may be found here.
    • SpywareGuard. A tutorial on using SpywareGuard for realtime protection against spyware and hijackers may be found here.
    Keeping these programs up-to-date and running them regularly can prevent a great deal of spyware hassle.
  • Please consider using an alternate browser. Mozilla's Firefox browser is fantastic; it is much more secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also has the best built-in popup blocker (as an added benefit!) that I have ever seen. If you are interested, Firefox may be downloaded from here.
  • Also make sure to run your antivirus software regularly, and to keep it up-to-date.
Please also read Tony Klein's excellent article: How I got Infected in the First Place

Hopefully this should take care of your problems! Good luck. :)

Beck

Beck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you so much, I will use your reccomendations.

A quick question about the windows update. I have SP2, and my computer regularly updates itself when I shut down. Is that the "critical updates" that you mention, or are these different ones?

And, I have Spybot and AdAware, the other two are reccomended on top of those two?

Edited by Beck, 11 November 2005 - 05:56 AM.

daparker

daparker

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Yes, those are the critical updates to which I am referring.

Yes, I recommend using all of the items in my list.