Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp windows wont start up

• Please log in to reply

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi

There is no prompt anywhere and by just pressing enter or any other key will not do anything it just returns to the same screen giving me options and wat ever i decieded just takes me bak to this.

I have not just been fidderling my thumbs, i have been doing abit of detective work myself, looking on this site and doing a search on google i have found that alot of people have had simular problems to myself. Although alot were loading or installng things when it went wrong where as my daughter says she did not do anything apart from talking on msn messenger.

One thing i have noticed alot of people r saying something about a virus and getting a disk put on to floppy and was it a boot disk and using that, wld that be a next option.

As far as im aware the only thing the was different about my daughters pc over the last few weeks that is she has found that when she goes onto some web sites the writing is very very small and its jumbled and not right. Remembering bk to a few months ago with my son's pc he had this when we had that dreaded startup trojan 19. She has the standard nortan virus checker on her pc and Ad-ware SE Personal remover. I no she has not long done a check and nothing apart from i want u or somthing like that kept coming up on the adware remover. I found this in the ad and remove programs as well. I am not entirly sure but i think this comes with the program Bearsare PsP program and runs silently in bk ground.

I normally use AGV on my older pc's and they serve pretty well but my daughter had the Norton installed when she had this and likes it so i left it as that, but mayb that just does not pick up what it shld. Although i use the paid nortan internet security 2005 and that seems quite good on this pc..

Just thought i wld give u abit of a bk ground, cos this one has sure got me stumped, virus and trojans i can handle. But when they give u a polite message saying that they appologise because windows had to shut down and hope its not caused to much inconvience i have to laff...........

Thanx
Shell

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
shell38...

This is a pretty perplexing problem, isn't it??? :tazz:

Way back in post #9, I included a link for a download of the XP boot disk. This will have to be burned as an ISO Image to work properly. Do you have a cd burner and if so, what burning software do you have installed (ie: Nero, Roxio, etc...)?

Go ahead and download the bootdisk for the operating system on your daughter's machine and save it to disk. If you aren't sure how to burn an iso image with your software, post back and I'll try to help you with it.

wannabe1

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi

Yes i do have a cd burner and a dvd burner and different programs for each. I have sonic 7.3 which came with the xp windows. for my cd burner.

I downloaded super dvd creator 8.5. I also have the sonic dvd which came with xp

But my daughter only has a cd rom, so guess i cant do it on the dvd anyway. Im not very good with different formats so any help on how to burn this program wld be help. I guess mayb i might have to download another cd write program and if so which one and where shld i get this from.

Many thanx
Shell

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi

I no everyone on here offers help in there own time and im not being pushing im really not, i just wondered maybe that this post might of got missed, as i no wannabe normally come straight bk and is very unlike him.

My daughter has her course work to hand in the next cpl of weeks and wld really like to get bk all the work she has on her computer..... if i cant do it myself im gonna have to see if i can find someone to pay to sort it out. But i do like a challenge lol.

Once again please excuse this post.

Many thanx
Shell

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm sorry shell38...the forum had a few issues a few days back and e-mail notification of replies was one of them. I didn't realize you had replied until now.... :)

Microsoft has evidently discontinued it's option for a bootable cd...or at least I can no longer find it and my link takes me to a page that says it can't be found. :tazz:

I'd like for you to go to This Page and do a little reading. This disk is a little complicated to build, but the directions and support are quite good. Let me know what you think. I'll be more than glad to help you with this in any way I can.

wannabe1

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi

Thanx for getting bk to me, i wondered if there was a prob because i was having probs gaining access etc to the site last week. That why i sent that message, i was not going to because i did not want u to think i was impatient.

Right i have found another computer that i has floppy disk drive. i have got some 2HD ibm disks are these the correct ones. As for the disks it says high density and persume 2 is enough. I take it that to download the disks is self explanitory.

Wat do i do wen i have downloaded the disks. do i boot the first one up before i put the computer on or wen it goes to that page with the options do i put it in then reboot from that page.

Many thanx im really hoping this is going to work.

Shell

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi shell38...

The UBDC from the link in my last post is for a bootable cd. If your daughter's machine has a floppy drive, I would recommend using the bootdisk set from microsoft, but you will have to pick up a few more floppy disks as it will require six for the startup set... :tazz: ...but they are easier to create and use than the UBDC.

Let me know which one you are able to use...either option should help us get this machine running again.

wannabe1

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi wannabe

Thanks im gonna try and use the 6 floppy disk set. Im hoping that it is easy to download and give u the instructions . can u put the link up for the floppy please.

The othere question is this. As i said was not sure if it was home or proffesional. But wen i tried one of the options on the start up page, it said which program do u want to run and the only option was xp proffesional so i guess that this is wat is on the pc wld u say im correct

thanks
shell

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi shell...

Yes, you are correct on the os being XP Pro...now all we have to do is figure out if it is SP1 or SP2. How old a machine is it? If you are unsure, post the make and model number here and I'll see if I can find out for you. Once we know that, I can post the appropriate link for the bootdisk set for that machine.

The disks are very easy to create and use.

wannabe1

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi

Make and model all i can tell you bout this computer is that it is a desktop unit and all it says is DAN i can not find a model number anywhere i have checked the bk and everywhere i can think of.

As said b4 that we brought it second hand from another guy who buys and does computers up we cant get in contact with him because we found the add in the paper. At a guess i wld say its quite old as it the old desk type not tower. It also only has a cdrom drive and a floppy and not a cdwriter. My guess is that he installed Xp from his own disk. I did have auto updates set up on microsoft so not sure if it has sp1 or 2 i do have a disk for sp1 a friend lent me but i have not put this in the computer.

so i am waiting for u to get bk to me tell me which disks i shld download and fingers crossed i might be able to get this silly thing going. Knowing why it happend wld be good my guess is a virus but to be honest she does virus check and adware remove her pc regulary.

ok thanx sorry cld not give u much more information about the pc
Shell

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

Since you have the XP Pro SP1 disk available, let's assume it's SP1 and hope we're right.

Download this Boot Disk Set and save it to your hard drive or desktop. Once the download has completed, double click the downloaded file and follow the prompts to create the startup set. When you have them all created, let me know and we'll see if we can get this machine running.... :tazz:

wannabe1

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi Wannbe1

Well its all done i have created the 6 disks , i take it if it is sp2 then this will not work and we will have to go and do the sp2 set lol.

Ok thanx so far sitting waiting for the next lesson smiles :tazz:

thanx shell

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's right, shell...and we're about to find out!

Put disk 1 into the machine and start it up. Follow the prompts until all disks have been loaded.

When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option, then select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console...you should have only one choice.

Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so...or just press "ENTER" if there isn't one set.

At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press "ENTER".

At the command prompt, type exit, and then press "ENTER" to restart your computer. This procedure will run on bootup so the restart will take a while...be patient.

This is the first of several options so let me know how it goes.

wannabe1

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi Wannabe1

Oh well after all that it did nothin, i put the first disk in started the computer and it just went straight on to the black screen with the options of normal start up safe, safe with prompt etc. I tried the reboot but it just did the same.

So is it that it is sp2 or do i have to go to the BIOS and change start up to floppy drive rather than cd. ahhhhhhhhhh lol

Ok thanx
Shell

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yep...probably the boot device priority.

Try setting the floppy as first boot device. We may have to change this setting a couple more times before we are through. Once the boot priority has been changed, try the startup disk again.

Aren't computers fun???? :tazz:

wannabe1