Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp windows wont start up

• Please log in to reply

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
[size=5]ok here is the update

i Turned it to floppy in BIOS and it loaded all the disks fine grins......... i thought hey yes we are getting there

it came up with the welcome to set up page .......... :tazz:
i clicked on r :)
It came up with no choice or password page...... :)

It came straight up with this page

Microsoft Windows XP ™ Recovery Console
The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.

Type Exit to quite the Recovery console and restart the computer

C:>

Was not sure wat to do here so i thought i wld type in chkdsk /r, (was there meant to b comma after r

I did this and pressed enter
It came up after a while the following message

Autochk.EX could not be located in either the start up directory or the cdrom drive.

Type the full path (including drive letter) for the location of the Autochk.EXE.

I have left it on this page and come down to use my pc to see what i shld do now.

Thanx
Shell

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi shell....well, that's progress!

No comma after the r chkdsk /r

Restart the check and when you get back to the prompt, type chkdsk /r and put the xp cd in the cd-rom drive...then press "Enter".

Looks like this could work...fingers are crossed.... :tazz:

wannabe1

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
thanx so do i will i have to start with the first floppy in again
shell

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this...

type C:\Windows\system32\autochk

If that doesn't work, just start over with floppy 1.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Be sure to put the xp cd in the cd-rom drive.....

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Yippee ............... its back.........

Right i still have the cd in i have taken all the disks out this is wat the results were after repair

CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume

39070048 kilobytes total disk space
31614356 kilobytes are available
4096 bytes in each allocation unit
9767512 total allocation unit
7903589 allocation units available on disk

i typed in exit then enter at first it wld not do anything so i removed the floppy and pressed enter again. Hey presto it came up with windows XP.

Right now wat do i do now, do i need to go bk into BIOS and change the first boot to hardrive or is it cdrom but i dont need the cd rom in anymore do i.

I cant thank you enough for all of this i even woke my daughter up for her password lol....mind u think i woke the whole house. ha ha :tazz:

One other thing any idea as to why this happend so as to watch out incase it does it again er..... i really hope it does not but at least i no wat to do lol.

Thanx
Shell

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:tazz: Yippie!!!! You can take all disks out of the drives.

Looks like you had a corrupt or damaged system file which is much as I suspected. You should be good to go!

Go into BIOS and set the boot priority as follows:
  • cd-rom
  • HDD (IDE-0)
  • Floppy
I would advise running both a virus scan and a spyware scan, making sure to update the scanners first.

I'm glad we got you all fixed up! :)

wannabe1

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
ok thanx once again i cant thanx u enough i will go in a min and do all that and come bk and let u no if it all runs ok fingers crossed i think we are there mainly down to u of course...... :tazz: :)

back in a while
thanx
shell

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
hi Wannabe1

Well congtratulations another well done job to add to ur collection u r just brilliant. well i did a virus scan and no virus showed up, although im stil not 100per cent if i rely on here one. She has the norton 2003 professional. Although myself on my new pc i run the norton security 2005 and that seems fine. But on my sons pc he has free agv. Anyway it showed no viurus.
I did the adware remove on lavasoft adware se. that showed up with 2 critical objects both or when u which i believe are programs that come with bearshare. so i removed them anyway.

When i shut down windows to make sure it wld start up on its own it downloaded 2 security updates on shutting down. Windows started fine on its own. Yippee...........
When i went into add and remove programs just to see what the updates were it just said security updates. but what i did notice at the bottom was Xp sp2........so it looked like that sp2 was on this pc and that we used the sp1 disks. I take it this is ok as its working .

The only thing i have noticed since it has been bk on is the internet connection is very slow and is taking along time to get to any web site.. this cld just be the connection tonight. I run broadband 2 or 3 mb with ntl.
but it was the same even after i rebooted the computer........ but hey wat a slow connection to not having a pc at all. But do u think this is a problem.

Anyway at least my daughter can now retrieve her coursework that she has been doing for her exams.
Once again thanx so very much
Will check again to see what u think about the above information.

Many thanx
Shell
ps i am writing this from the pc we have fixed tonight

:tazz: :) :) :woot: :woot: :woot: :P :P

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Shell...

Thanks so much for the kind words... :)

Using SP1 bootdisks on SP2 is fine...using Sp2 on SP1 would fail. This happens because chkdsk is comparing files on the cd to files on the machine. SP2 has files that SP1 doesn't so scanning an SP1 system with SP2 disks would have SP2 looking for files that weren't there and would lead to a failed check. scanning the SP2 system with SP1 disks, the SP1 sould see all the files it was looking for and not see the additional files...success!

As for the slow internet connection, a couple of questions are in order. How many Anti Virus programs are running on the machine? Are you running more than one firewall? Running more than one of either can cause this problem. If you find multiples of either, disable one and see if the connection speed improves.

It's always very gratifying to me to start with a machine like yours that won't start and breath life back into it. To bring a machine back with all the data intact is always my first concern and I work a problem with that in mind. I'm glad your daughter's schoolwork is ok...I thought about it with each procedure we tried.

Let me know what you find with your internet connection...if we need to work on that a bit, so be it! :tazz:

wannabe1

Advertisements

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Dear Wannabe1

Thank you so much for them words, and thoughts about my daughters coursework. I too think that is so nice to be able to get a machine that has no life in it at all to this being able to actually write this message from it. I must say that although i do not wish for any computer to go wrong, i did enjoy the task and getting to no the other side of the computer that is not normally an everyday thing. This is not my first attempt at getting a pc going my sons had the dreaded startup trojan horse 19 and that took alot of hijacking and loads of programs to get that sorted. This has made me think that i wld like to learn more along these lines then maybe just one day i could help out people like myself as u do. Do you have any suggestions along this matter.

Needless to say my daughter was over the moon this morning when i told her, not only was her computer up and running but all her coursework photos etc were intact. Because i think she was now thinking that the only way to get this machine going wld be to format the hardrive. She has asked me to personally say a BIG THANK YOU from her, she is over the moon. (as im sure her teacher will be lol) :tazz:

Right as for the connnection of the internet, i have only one virus checker on this machine plus one adware remover, i have learnt from past experiences that you shld not have more than one virus checker. As i mentioned last night though im not sure if it is an adaquate one. What is your rating of Norton 2003 professional. Compared to say AGV free virus checker. The connection seems alittle quicker today although not as normal. but as said this could be the ntl broadband connection. I am running this machine on wireless and the connection states 36.0 mbps signal strength very good status connected fine. its running at 54g wirless belkin. It only has 256 MB ram so maybe it wont get better than that anyway.

Right hope this is enough information for you. But please bere in mind that i really wld like to learn more.

Many thanx
Shell

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad to see my 'Twin' got you all squared away! Not that I had any doubts whatsoever. He is great at what he does.

Anyways, congrats again on getting everything squared away!

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 15 November 2005 - 08:37 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good Morning, Shell...

i wld like to learn more along these lines then maybe just one day i could help out people like myself as u do. Do you have any suggestions along this matter.

You are off to a good start. I have no formal training myself...all self taught. I've ginked a lot of machines along the way (my own, of course) and it's taken a bit longer than if I had been trained in the field, but I think the result of the hands on training is acceptable... :) There is a lot of talent at Geeks to Go...hang out, watch, and learn. There isn't a day goes by that I don't learn something new from the members and staff here.

She has asked me to personally say a BIG THANK YOU from her

Give your daughter a big You are Welcome! from me.... :tazz:

36 MPS on a wireless connection is not really unacceptable depending on the distance you are from the source. If you are using a wireless router, the speed will be a bit slower than it would be with a wireless access point. Fenor would probably be better qualified to help with this than I and is always welcome to add his 2 cents worth! (Thanks for the kind words, Fenor... :) )

If you have any further problems, comments, or questions...G2G is the place to be!

Best regards,
wannabe1

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Thanks to the both of u....... This is def a great site and i will look at it more and more and see what i can learn... Its an interest that i certainly want to carry on....

Once again without guys like u there wld b no site and more and more pc wld be thrown from a great height, which infact there is nothing wrong with them but alittle bit of nohow.

Anyway i have taken up enough of ur time and will let u get on with helping others and im sure u will get many more pc healed back to health

Well done keep up the good work u r one in a million

Thanx Shell and Devon (shell daughter)

:tazz: :) :) :woot: :woot: :woot: :P
:P :P :( :) :) :) :lol: :D :D :D :D

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
shell38,

One thing you need to realize is that you are never 'bothering' us. We are here because we like to be here and because we love helping other people. For me, having the success that you have had here is what it's all about. Nothing is better then getting a resolution like this one where the problem could be solved. This is why we are here and this is why we STAY here and do what we do.

If you EVER have any questions/comments/concerns about anything, don't hestitate to either post a new topic or send me a PM. I'm always here to help and never feel annoyed when someone asks me a question. If we all knew everything this world would be an awfully boring place!

Fenor