Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Network Privacy

• Please log in to reply

mholt

mholt

• Pip
  • 4 posts
We recently networked our private school so that we could all share a broadband connection. That part is working fine. My problem is - I already had the computers in my classroom set up as a network with the folders shared that we work with. Now my folders can be seen by everyone in the school. How can I fix it so that others can not access my shared folders? I'm running Windows XP Pro on one computer, Home on two computers, and 2000 on five computers.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
how is the network configured? is this a domain structure or just workgroups?

mholt

mholt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My classroom is set up as a workgroup. I don't know how the rest of the school is set up.

Is there a way to password protect folders in Windows XP Home and 2000? I'd like to be able to access the computer in the sound booth but not any of the others - or to have anyone else be able to access my classroom.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Edited by mholt, 05 November 2005 - 07:08 PM.

mholt

mholt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is a workgroup okay or should I have set it up as a domain?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
a workgroup is fine for where you are....but...it makes the process harder..

mholt

mholt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, I'm willing to try if you're willing to tell me how :tazz: