Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard Issues and Upgrading

• Please log in to reply

Adzi

Adzi

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have a ASUS K8N nForce3 motherboard, I may know the basics but this is bewildering me !!

I want to upgrade from 2 sticks of 512mb RAM to 2x 1Gb Sticks. I know there are different types and numbers out there but what should I get? What do i need to know? or can i just go into my local hardware store and get any type of RAM?

Sorry if this seems kind of obvious and silly I'm just a little confused.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Adam!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Everest Home Edition

Run it, click + next to computer then summary, look on right for memory type

Click DMI then memory modules to get the maximum module size and number of slots

Check with the ASUS site to see if you can use faster memory, however, if you have 4 slots, you can add the two IGB (same speed memory) sticks to slots 1 and 2 then put your existing memory in the other slots, so you then have 3GB RAM Memory, you would want to gain a lot of speed at 2GB to outperform 3GB at your current speed

If you get faster memory and keep your current memory, the current memory would drag the faster memory down to its speed