Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defractioning Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply

Tar

Tar

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
When i had my computer repaired, the repair guy had created these extra hard drives on my computer. They actually split one hard drive into 3 drives. Now one of them is full and i have one empty one. what would i need to do to combine them or part of it??

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Tar!

What the repair guy did is break your one hard drive into multiple PARTITIONS, which is basically making your hard drive three hard drives. This is very handy. This way you can store important information like docs, music, etc... on the other partition and if Windows goes haywire, then you still have your important data and all you will need to do is reformat the windows partition and reinstall windows, leaving all your important information intact. What I suggest you do is transfer some of the files over to the other partition (hard drive), including doc files, installation files, music, etc... This will not only free up space on your current partition that is almost full, but will also keep your data safe in case windows becomes corrupted and you need to reinstall it.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 04 November 2005 - 08:11 PM.