Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

shockwave update installed but now items won't display

• Please log in to reply

asharex

asharex

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi.

I downloaded an update for shockwave when prompted last night, and now when my child plays on Neopets various areas don't display on the page, making navigation nigh impossible, and games won't download.

IE works fine, but we'd rather use Firefox (1.0.7)

Short of uninstalling and reinstalling Shockwave Player is there anything I can try first?

Any help would be appreciated.

NB I switched to 'HTML' and all seems to be well. I wonder why the 'Flash' option doesn't work? I had a look in my registry as per the advice in this thread http://www.geekstogo...-IE-t76345.html but I don't have an entry when I right click 'Default'. I'm presuming there should be something there? Should I add it? I'm hesitant to play in the registry.

Edited by asharex, 04 November 2005 - 07:30 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This specifically says IE

Whether it applies to all Macromedia browser updates is something to ask Macromedia

http://www.filehippo...hplayer_ie.html

You could also ask when a version for Firefox will be available

asharex

asharex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply.

I thought that about IE, too, but when the installer mentioned Firefox by name ie I had to close Firefox for the installation to take effect, I figured that it would apply to this browser, too.

I may need to uninstall and reinstall and see if that helps. Some things work, some don't. A reboot didn't help.

I left a message at Macromedia support, but I'm not expecting a reply.

I was wondering about the fact that there was no reg entry as per the message below from CJIS:

firstly I would try going- Start and then run and type in regedit and click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and then going down and clicking .swf and then on the right, right click on (Defualt) and then click modify and make sure it says ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash
Then modify content type and make sure it says application/x-shockwave-flash

Do you think I could do any harm by adding this to the registry?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can install the previous version and it lets you run everything OK then I would go with that

It could be a blip with both Firefox and ShockWave as they are constantly updated

asharex

asharex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks. I'll see how I go doing that first.