Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Data from CD

• Please log in to reply

spankyjo57

spankyjo57

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had to format and reload my PC last week and THOUGHT I had done a good job of backing up everything. What I didn't count on was somehow backing up on a bad CD or something. When I went to restore some of my data, some of it was transferable from one of the disks but other files would not. I kept getting an error message " Cannot copy file: Cannot read from sorce file or disk".
What I don't understand is, the disks are good quality disks, I have never had a problem backing up with CD Disk before and why do some of the first set of files transfer then the rest don't? These files are very important. Is there any way to get the data off this disk? If not, I am soooooo not happy!! :) :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you select the option to copy the files to your hard drive

Copy will work more often than move

spankyjo57

spankyjo57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Do you mean by right clicking, hitting copy then putting them in folder? I have tried that, tried to copy them to another disk, tried to copy them individually. one at a time. When I try the copy to file I get the same error message. :tazz: If there is another way, I am willing to try anything. :)