Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Setting up 2 OS

• Please log in to reply

Crimedogg32

Crimedogg32

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I am almost postive that you can run Linux and Windows XP on the same macine where you choose one from the start. Is this possible with 2 Windows OS? I want to run XP Home and 64 Bit and if anyone has any idea how to do this please let me know if its impossible that would help also

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can install more than one operating system on your computer and choose which operating system you want to use every time you start your computer. This is often called a dual-boot or multiple-boot configuration

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;306559

This was written before the version you want to add

Crimedogg32

Crimedogg32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
thanks I assuming that even though this was written before 64 Bit that it still works the same way or no?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is for XP64 which does not say you are unable to use dual boot

Disk Partitions
Disk partitioning is a way of dividing your hard disk so that each section functions as a separate unit. You can create a partition to provide a place to back up data, or to dual-boot with another operating system. When you create partitions on a disk, you divide the disk into one or more areas that can be formatted for use by a file system, such as FAT32 or NTFS.

During text-mode Setup, you can create and delete partitions. Follow these guidelines for partitioning:

A minimum of 6 GB is recommended for installing Windows XP 64-Bit Edition. A partition of this size provides flexibility for adding future updates, operating system tools, or other files.During Setup, you should create and size only the partition on which you want to install Windows XP. After Windows XP is installed, you can use Disk Management to further partition the unallocated space. For more information about Disk Management, open Help and Support Center from the Start menu in Windows XP Help.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;306856