Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Motherboard not powering on

• Please log in to reply

MadMax2

MadMax2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

When the power button is pressed, there is no display, fans are not spinning, and the power light on front panel does not light up. The system retains the state of not being powered on.
I recently bought a new Motherboard - Asus A7V400-MX-SE to replace my existing one (A7M266). All the other components are the ones I used with the earlier motherboard. (Athlon 1.2GHz processor)

The Standby LED is on though. I have removed all components one by one and tried to power on the system each time until nothing was connected except the CPU fan and memory. This power supply was working fine and I am not sure whether this could be the problem.

Please advice.

Madhu

Advertisements

bruhle

bruhle

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sounds like your motherboard in touching the case. Make sure your motherboard is installed right and that the standoffs arent out of whack. Or else it wont work.

canimp

canimp

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Could be the power supply. You may also want to check your RAM, I have had a bad stick of RAM prevent my system from powering on. I also had a system not power up because my heat sink/fan were not installed correctly - that one floored me. I had no idea that could do it.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G Madmax2

As bruhle suggested, I would double check the positioning of the stand-offs to make sure you don't have any in the case which don't line up with a screw hole on the mobo.
Also check the soft power switch connector (the 2 pin connector that leads from the power switch on the front of the case to the front panel header on the motherboard.
Position the board so that the front panel header (pins) are in the bottom right corner as you look at it. You will see this :
o o o o o o o o o o
o o o o o o o o o o

The 2 blue pins in the diagram are the ones that connect to the power switch connector.

Let us know how you get on

MadMax2

MadMax2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Dear all:

Thanks for the replies. I have checked to ensure that the motherboard is not touching the case. I also removed it and kept it on a wooden board and connected the power supply and use the tip of a metallic pen to short the 2 blue pins and it still did not work.

So i took my old motherboard ASUS A7M266 and did the same and it powered on. So it looks like the processor and memory are okay.

Any more ideas?

Madhu

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Looks like the board is bad but double check all jumpers are positioned correct especially the clear cmos.
You may also want to replace the jumper caps with others you have laying around by caps I mean the little plastic cap that you put over the pins, I have already had them were they were not making contact with the pins and the board would not boot.

Rick