Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

User.exe error

• Please log in to reply

papa_A_D

papa_A_D

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hello: I use Windows ME and I am having an applications' problem. It happens about 80% of the time when I am running an application (i.e., Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, "Clean it Up!", etc.). When I close the app, I get a window that says "" APPLICATION Name" will close now due to an error in USER.exe. Please re-start computer if this continues". I have run both a spyguard and virus programs, and everything looks good. I scanned and defragged the HD but it still continues. This is a recent problem in a five-year-old computer. The only new thing I've done is put a GE FORCE MX4000 video card in a month ago. Any help out there would be appreciated.

Thanks,
papa :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you tried replacing the copy of user.exe? That might be all you need.

papa_A_D

papa_A_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Tyger,
No, but how would I accomplish this? I mean it's a SYSTEM application in the Windows folder that hasn't been fooled with since June 6th, 2000. Do I open it with a Notepad app?

papa _A_D

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
My 1st step would be to remove the Video card and see if that fixes the problem.
If yes then we make sure the card works with ME and you have the correct drivers
Also
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;243372
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 06 November 2005 - 02:47 AM.