Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Keyboard and mouse arent responding

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I woke up this morning and went to get on my other computer and when i went to type the password nothing happened. i was using a wireless keyboard and figured maybe the batteries died so I replaced them and still nothing. i then turned the computer off and plugged in a wired keyboard and turned it back on. still nothing. I then realized that my mouse wasnt working either. So i have no mouse or keyboard. I cant even reformat
Also when i turn the comp off and back on it doesnt say mouse or keyboard not found so it must be recognized right?
Any suggestions

Edited by redcrypt, 05 November 2005 - 04:54 PM.

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi redcrypt!

If it won't void any warranty(s) doing so, unplug the power cord from the back of your computer, take off the side panel of your computer and remove the CMOS battery (It's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel). Once the battery is out, hit the power button a couple of times. Then after 5 minutes minimum has passed, put the CMOS battery back in, put the side panel back on your computer and plug the power cord back into your computer. Now only attach the WIRED keyboard to your computer, leaving no mouse attached. Then turn on your computer and repeatedly hit the F1, F2 and DEL keys about once a second so that you can enter your computer's SETUP/BIOS page. If none of these work, read on the screen during boot up and it should tell you what F key to hit to enter SETUP. Once you are in there, check for options like USB LEGACY SUPPORT, USB KEYBOARD SUPPORT, USB MOUSE SUPPORT and make sure they are set to ENABLED. After you make these changes, save the changes you made and then turn off your computer. Then attach your mouse and turn your computer on and let windows boot up normally. If everything is working fine, then shut down your computer and switch out the wired keyboard for your wireless one and then turn your computer back on and make sure everything is working okay.

*EDIT* -- When you detach your wireless keyboard, make note of the USB port that it is plugged into, because when you reattach it you will need to reattach it to the same USB port it was attached to before, because windows can be picky about switching usb ports for already installed items like wireless keyboards/mice and also printers.

Edited by Fenor, 05 November 2005 - 06:46 PM.