Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reclaim default launch files

• Please log in to reply

Vic78

Vic78

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright heres my problem, hopefully someone can help..

I had a desktop icon that would not delete. It came up with some error message I forget what... Anyhow, I right clicked it and put a new path in for it to open. When I hit accept then close the icon disapeared from my desktop and the program overtook my computer. Every program now opens that one program. I try to right click and hit properties it opens the dreaded program, I try to open my internet connection and it opens the dreaded program... You get the picture. How do I reclaim my computer?

Edited by Vic78, 05 November 2005 - 06:45 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Vic78!

Go to START-->RUN and type sfc /scannow, nothing the space between sfc and /scannow. This will check your windows operating system files and replace any that are corrupt or missing. You may need your windows xp home cd to do this. When the blue bar goes away, reboot your computer.

If your problem isn't solved, then I suggest you do a REPAIR INSTALLATION of windows, using the link in my signature as a guide. Don't worry, all of your programs will still work after it's done and all your files and settings will still be intact. This will just replace your operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). You will need to get all Windows Updates again after doing this.

Fenor

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Open any folder, then open Folder Options. Click the File types tab, remove the file association for .exe file, which should be the program you're describing.

Vic78

Vic78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried that Tiger, didnt work. But Fenors guide to repair XP did the trick. Thanks bud.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad to see everything is working as it should now. :tazz: And also thanks for replying and saying that what was suggested worked so that others with the same problem will now have a way that has worked for someone else.

Fenor