Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ten Commandments, Nativity, and Cross Displays

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It depends on which definiton you use for religion.
Worshipping a deity
Or living by a moral code.

Advertisements

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
Well ... let's get my opinion on this. This was recently brought up by the commandments having to be taken away from the Alabama Supreme Court building. I think they "could" stay. Like it or not almost EVERY law in the U.S. came from the 10 Commandments and the Bible one way or another. It could stay in the Supreme Court building to represent the bases of the laws in our rulebooks, not necessarily to try and make someone be Christian.

That's just the way I look at it. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Maybe they shouldnt be based on rules from a book used to justify and legalise torture murder and genocide for hundreds of years.

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Maybe they shouldnt be based on rules from a book used to justify and legalise torture murder and genocide for hundreds of years.

If you want to use that argument...

Almost anything good can be interpreted in a wrong way and used for immoral acts. That doesn't make the intent of something bad.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

:tazz:
Like masterj3000 said, that was not the intent of the Bible, and different people interpert things differently. How does "Thou shalt not kill" justify and legalize torture, murder and genocide??? The Bible never justified/legalized murder, genocide, and torture.

Anything can be used to "justify" bad things.

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Burning candles or burning crossess.Pride and hate are two very opposites,wich are much aligned without being understood.I myself am an agnostic.To me religion is dogma rarely practised from the
heart and soul.When Bush says it's o.k. to kill terrorists,who are these terrorists?If we actively recruit young men and women to do battle with complete strangers on the tele or radio ,shouldnt an inlightened country(a melting pot if you will),offer as much choice to let these people put up the demonstrations of their country and heritage?A catholic,a jew,a muslim a buddhist should all share in their culture and open the minds of the young and innocents.The ten commandants only reflects simplicity and order in a world dominated by a very few.who seem not to pay attention to what makes others' happy.I am an agnostic(a nihilist actually)
who wouldn't mind if it all ended tomorrow)But as long as we are here with each other we should share and l,if we are to be civil towards one another and learn about diferent natives andf their customs and traditions.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I remeber reading a whole bit in the bible about punishing unbelievers or maybe im mistaken there is alot of contradictions in the bible.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I or someone else could try explaining some if you post specific ones. You also have to remember the times in which the Bible was written. As time went on, people's views of God changed and developed into what some people believe today. The Old Testament (Hebrew Scriptures) was written in more of a warlike and violent time. When Christians (specifically Catholics, I'm not sure about other Christian faiths) believe that Jesus came, His message was revolutionary and helped change the views of many people as His message spread.
For example:
OT-an eye for an eye
NT-turn the other cheek
(again, my personal beliefs, I'm not trying to force them on anyone or saying that this is what all Catholics believe)

More on topic, did you read this?

What about religious art? Is that going to be debated over whether or not to ban it?

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
Well, thank you everyone for your input. I turned in my paper Monday. In the end I just did the Ten Commandments. I just ended up with too much info. I'll let this topic continue for general discussion, and when I get my grade I'll let you all know.

masterj3000